AL320G Half Nut

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kpar

Kpar
Reaction score
Hi all, been absent for a while & now back. I've had the AL320g for a while now and just moving into threading, (with or without) the halfnut.
My question when I swing the thread dial out of the way there are two gib adjusting screws. Is this to adjust the half nut mesh , if so what would the procedure be to set this up ?.

Kpar, I just stumbled across this post and see that you did not receive any answers. I don't know the lathe in question, so can't answer from direct knowledge. Can you post some pictures? If so, we can probably figure it out.

Thanks Andy, Will take a photo next time up in the shed.
The manual supplied with the lathe is hopeless.
Kpar

Andy, a couple of photos
DSCF0139.JPG

DSCF0140.JPG

Thread dial swung out of the way. Note the two adjusting screws, they don't seem to make any difference ?. I'm a little reluctant to move them too much as it might upset things.
Kpar

Kpar, based on the placement, those surely must have to do with adjusting the half nuts, as you suggested above. I didn't have the foggiest notion of what sort of adjustment it might be, but I dug around on the internet and found what may be a manual for your lathe: https://images.machineryhouse.com.au/products/L141/PDF/L141 - Instructions Manual.pdf

If this is the right lathe, look at page 36 - you can see adjustment screws (parts 32 & 33) out to the side, and below the carriage you can see parts 50 & 51, which appear to go up into the carriage where the screws would bear. Part 51 is clearly the half-nut; 50 looks to me like a gib. From the picture, adjusting the screw would primarily affect the stiffness of the action (how hard or easy it is to move the half nuts) - which might have an indirect effect on the mesh, but it seems to me it would be fairly minimal. I would think the goal would be to adjust these screws until the half nut engagement and disengagement is smooth but not overly stiff - but that is just my guess, so take this with a dose of salt!

Thanks again Andy. That L141 Instruction manual is far superior than the one I got with the lathe. I've now downloaded it and yes it is much clearer what the adjustments are for. Can't wait to have a go at it
Kpar

Latest posts

Back