Air Compressor for mist system?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myrickman

Reaction score
After countless trial runs machining foam and wood, I’m getting ready to make some aluminum chips. I have a mist system head and don’t want to use the very loud standard shop compressor. Has anyone tried using one of the larger aquarium pumps sold on eBay with the electromagnetically driven piston ? I’m seeing sizes of 70 liters per minute and larger. This one is 220v....

Attachments

• 366CF143-2D91-450A-A7F1-B27D2D41E093.jpeg
    366CF143-2D91-450A-A7F1-B27D2D41E093.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 397
That’s a great idea Lofty. Never thought about that...and they’re free for the taking at the bone yard. Do you run it with the oil that is in it and does it get depleted through the air stream? Thanks for the tip.

Myrickman,

I don't know where you're located, but you might be able to find the following style of compressor from a supplier in your country. https://www.justtools.com.au/rolair-10lt-ultra-quiet-oil-free-air-compressor-jc10

I've been using one for a while, and at 55dB, it is not silent, but by the same token, it's not noisy like a typical compressor. My machining workshop is a small room 4 x 2 meters, and I have the compressor sitting in a space under one of the benches. It's quieter than my 8" x 19" lathe.

I hope that info helps.

RoyG

Had a bit of luck at a motorcycle jumble and picked up a small diaphragm air brush compressor, I have used it quite successfully on the CNC mill as a chip blower.

It's probably a bit too late but here's my take. With the same issue on my hands, my research came up with the Hitachi / Metabo EC28M Ultra Quiet compressor. As it turns out, it should be arriving on my door step today. The video link below really sold me on it; extremely quiet. Under $200 and no fiddling having to adapt something from a previous life.

Edit : my new Metabo Ultra Quiet compressor just arrived. It is light, compact, and wonderfully quiet compared to any other compressor that I have used. I plan to use my for a mist system also.

One thing that I did learn along the way is that is that the decibel scale is logarithmic. So, if one item is 40 db and another is 50 db, the 50 db machine is not just 25% louder, it is 10 times louder.
According to the Pulsar Instruments web site :

"On the decibel scale, the quietest audible sound (perceived near total silence) is 0 dB. A sound 10 times more powerful is 10 dB. A sound 100 times more powerful than near total silence is 20 dB. A sound 1,000 times more powerful than near total silence is 30 dB, 40 dB and so on. "

This video does a good job of illustrating the noise level of this compressor :

Last edited:
I tend to sell, service and maintain air compressors a little larger than these, up to 100kW. Open the door in the side of them and walk in.
I find that the Bambi and Jun-Air units are more than suitable for the small workshop and to all intents and purposes are as quiet as you will get. They use what looks like a fridge compressor and a good quality piston compressor oil is more than adequate and if possible use a full synthetic oil. Just remember that compressed air is as dangerous as electricity and has killed many an unwary engineer due to embolisms and blowing dirt through the skin and causing blood poisoning.

" Just remember that compressed air is as dangerous as electricity and has killed many an unwary engineer due to embolisms and blowing dirt through the skin and causing blood poisoning. "

That reminds me of metal shop in high school. I recall, even 50 years later, my teacher admonishing us about doing silly stuff with compressed air and the oxy acetylene torches ( unlit ), also under pressure of course.

Latest posts

Back