Air Compressor for mist system?

Discussion in 'CNC Machines and Conversions' started by myrickman, Apr 14, 2019.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Apr 14, 2019 #1

myrickman

myrickman

myrickman

After countless trial runs machining foam and wood, I’m getting ready to make some aluminum chips. I have a mist system head and don’t want to use the very loud standard shop compressor. Has anyone tried using one of the larger aquarium pumps sold on eBay with the electromagnetically driven piston ? I’m seeing sizes of 70 liters per minute and larger. This one is 220v....

Attached Files:

2. Apr 14, 2019 #2

Lofty76

Lofty76

Lofty76

Member HMEM Supporter

Technician Engineer (Rotary Wing)
    Hi, if its any help, I use a compressor from a freezer, its almost silent in use, and delivers enough air for the mist head.

3. Apr 14, 2019 #3

myrickman

myrickman

myrickman

That’s a great idea Lofty. Never thought about that...and they’re free for the taking at the bone yard. Do you run it with the oil that is in it and does it get depleted through the air stream? Thanks for the tip.

4. Apr 15, 2019 #4

blanik

blanik

blanik

Myrickman,

I don't know where you're located, but you might be able to find the following style of compressor from a supplier in your country. https://www.justtools.com.au/rolair-10lt-ultra-quiet-oil-free-air-compressor-jc10

I've been using one for a while, and at 55dB, it is not silent, but by the same token, it's not noisy like a typical compressor. My machining workshop is a small room 4 x 2 meters, and I have the compressor sitting in a space under one of the benches. It's quieter than my 8" x 19" lathe.

I hope that info helps.

RoyG

5. Apr 23, 2019 #5

Baz

Baz

Baz

Had a bit of luck at a motorcycle jumble and picked up a small diaphragm air brush compressor, I have used it quite successfully on the CNC mill as a chip blower.