Air Compressor for mist system?

Help Support HMEM:

myrickman

Reaction score
After countless trial runs machining foam and wood, I’m getting ready to make some aluminum chips. I have a mist system head and don’t want to use the very loud standard shop compressor. Has anyone tried using one of the larger aquarium pumps sold on eBay with the electromagnetically driven piston ? I’m seeing sizes of 70 liters per minute and larger. This one is 220v....

Attachments

Lofty76

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, if its any help, I use a compressor from a freezer, its almost silent in use, and delivers enough air for the mist head.

myrickman

Reaction score
That’s a great idea Lofty. Never thought about that...and they’re free for the taking at the bone yard. Do you run it with the oil that is in it and does it get depleted through the air stream? Thanks for the tip.

blanik

Reaction score
Myrickman,

I don't know where you're located, but you might be able to find the following style of compressor from a supplier in your country. https://www.justtools.com.au/rolair-10lt-ultra-quiet-oil-free-air-compressor-jc10

I've been using one for a while, and at 55dB, it is not silent, but by the same token, it's not noisy like a typical compressor. My machining workshop is a small room 4 x 2 meters, and I have the compressor sitting in a space under one of the benches. It's quieter than my 8" x 19" lathe.

I hope that info helps.

RoyG

Baz

Reaction score
Had a bit of luck at a motorcycle jumble and picked up a small diaphragm air brush compressor, I have used it quite successfully on the CNC mill as a chip blower.

Latest posts