Ageless 9 and 18 Radial

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
456BDF66-0973-47CC-961C-BBED99C1116E.jpeg
1A042D9B-D2A9-48F6-9928-B3F2365E1FBF.jpeg
Machining the rear covers.

5sec time lapse video. Making master connecting rods. I need a better GoPro… My battery quit after 2hrs. This cycle is 5.5 hours. I like light cuts so the run times end up getting long on my gcode programs. I have a wash down system to clean the machine. Takes about 2min to clean and flush the chips to the hopper. I will post pictures of the master rod after I finish it. It is a work in progress as I am having to spend more time designing and machining fixtures than actually making the part! The final product is worth it.

C5119CE6-5EEC-4647-9403-27F91BB72046.jpeg
1F676DDD-15EC-42A7-95B7-08A7B2BCA3C7.jpeg

Made my first cam shaft today. It’s more of a cam ring. It took me a long time to CAD it up correctly. Only a couple days to machine it. But it was a very difficult part to CAD correctly. This is the part that concerns me the most during the project with making accurately. And it turned out pretty well. I am very pleased.

I too am doing the Ageless 9 cylinder as well and the feel the worst part for me is going to be making the Cam Ring (I guess) and was wondering if you would be willing to sell me one since you already have done most if not all of the work. My problem is that I do not have a CNC machine. I fell that doing one via a regular milling machine might destroy the complete engine. I am willing to pay for all Material, Time & Shipping and maybe a little extra if I can afford it. Would you be willing to help me out?
Regards Brian

No worries Brian. Your timing is perfect. I am currently setup to make another 9cyl cam ring. Should have it done later today. I will send a note with the part and you pay me what you think it is worth. Send me a PM with your contact info. -Ron

View attachment 129583View attachment 129584
Working on valve seats. Very difficult part of the build. I am glad that it’s over. Inserting those seats was very meticulous and time consuming. I will still have to lap every valve by hand to make sure that they seal properly.
Those are some scary wide valve seats. Do you plan to cut your valves at a different angle to get a single line of contact? - Terry

Those are some scary wide valve seats. Do you plan to cut your valves at a different angle to get a single line of contact? - Terry
Seat work sucks. 😂 It was very time consuming as I carefully inserted/set each seat to verify alignment with the valve guide. Each and every valve will be mated with its seat. First by lapping and then if necessary I will make a seat cutter. My goal is the 50psi cylinder pressure that is called out in the drawings. I have been making valves on the cnc lathe. I test fit the valves as I set the seats. Drilling #58 holes in Stainless valve stems is not a lot of fun either! I am enjoying the build though.
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back