Advice on steam engine project

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storm-chaser

Reaction score
I have a background in mechanics since childhood, but until earlier today, steam power was an unexplored final frontier for me. A cute little Wilesco steam engine kit showed up earlier and I already have some ideas on how to modify and upgrade this setup. I would like to add a small steam turbine and a secondary single piston steam engine.

Here is the Wilesco, the engine/boiler that will form a basis for this project:

1602221675255.png

1602221703973.png

1602221745988.png

So my plan for the larger project here will be using the Wilseco D 455 vertical steam engine and boiler at its core. Having limited knowledge of steam and steam technology, not sure if what I want to do is possible, but I wanted to run it by you guys anyway.
This D 455 is an upright boiler with a vertical steam engine that generates about ~ 8 inch pounds of torque at full throttle. I am basically wondering if I can add the steam turbine and the secondary, single piston steam engine on just the one boiler that comes with the Wilesco engine? In other words, can I hook all three steam appliances to the single wilesco boiler, or should I get a secondary boiler to run the other equipment?

Here is the steam turbine...

1602219659681.png

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Mi...ought&utm_medium=OfferMailer&utm_source=email
Secondary steam engine:
1602221350977.png

Just exploring this idea and wanted a bit of feedback first before I go out and purchase any more equipment. I basically want to mount everything to a single, non flammable surface and then route the appropriate steam ducts from the boiler to the extra engine and steam turbine. I am likely going to put a very small generator on the steam turbine to turn this into a mini power plant. This is just a scheme I thought up one day, not entirely sure if this is possible, so any advice or suggestions are appreciated. thanks.

Latest posts

Back