Advanced Beginners Tool Box

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gus is still very much a beginner in building model engines.
Am sure there are many HMEM member belong to this category.As we progressed,picking up new skills and making some unforgiving projects,we
will need to buy/make some tools and accessories.

Please feel free to add on following list of must have.

1.Digital Calipers and Mikes.
2.Boring Head,DIY or bought
3.Dividing Head,DIY or bought
4.Arbors for gear cutters,DIY or bought
5.Height Gauge
6.QCTP,DIY or bought.
7.Moving Steady and Fixed Steady ,DIY or bought.
8.MAPP Gas Torch for silver brazing.

Not quite sure what you feel "must have" means Gus but in 50 years of model engineering I have never needed a digital Mike , my old analogue ones are fine and my clock calipers give more consistent readings than my digital version.
I think that when recommending items as "must have" we should consider how often a tool is used and what can be accomplished without.
So QCTP ? no ! you can easily manage without.
Height gauge ? haven't got one but never been stuck measuring height.
Steadies , arbors , dividing rigs all easily made when required but not used very often by most beginners.
A good quality try square I would mark as essential along with a micrometer.
I am also warming to diamond files , not a must have but ideal for touching up lathe tools including carbide.
A small tin of engineers blue will last a lifetime and scrapers ground up from old files can get a great deal of use.
Hope you don't think that I am being negative Gus but anyone who is serious about the hobby can accomplish a great deal with very little
especially if you can make something square and flat.

Reactions: gus
1.Digital Calipers and Mikes.
2.Boring Head,DIY or bought
3.Dividing Head,DIY or bought
4.Arbors for gear cutters,DIY or bought
5.Height Gauge
6.QCTP,DIY or bought.
7.Moving Steady and Fixed Steady ,DIY or bought.
8.MAPP Gas Torch for silver brazing.
1) digital calipers yes digital mikes not as much
2) yes to fit the mil
3) Have one do use a lot
4) ----
5) Yes I do most of my layout with mine
6) Yes they make life easier.
7) depends on the lathe IMHO no room for a steady on a 7x10 or 12
do not use my steady much.
8) I do not do much silver soldering something i need to get into. I do know how.
Tin

1. Digital Height Gage made marking centre line and slot lines easy and accurate.
2. DIY Boring Head used to cut the segmented governor support column.
3.DIY Rotary Table made slot alignment and slot milling easy.
4. Surface Plate is an Ingersoll-Rand recycled valve plate.

IMG_2445.jpg

IMG_2447.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

Last edited:
I would add an "Interapid style" indicator. Couldn't live without mine.

I would add an "Interapid style" indicator. Couldn't live without mine.

Hi Purplerknif,

Plan to buy one .Please advise source. It is true as we plod along building
more advanced IC Engines, we need to build up our arsenal of tools.

1.Power mill table feed.

Getting tired of hand cranking. Plan to build one
we variable feed rate.

2. Rotary Table and divider plates.
This is on my list to prepare to cut spur gears.

Don’t forget the magnifier visor. Look like a dork but you can see small parts like you were 15 again
For gear cutting I’ve been thinking about making an indexer similar to the one Dean Williams made for his Taig mill.
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/indexer/indexer.html

magnifier visor.jpg

Don’t forget the magnifier visor. Look like a dork but you can see small parts like you were 15 again
For gear cutting I’ve been thinking about making an indexer similar to the one Dean Williams made for his Taig mill.
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/indexer/indexer.html

Hi Bmac,

Where can I buy this? At 70 and right eye with wee bitty cataractty.
Been squinting my eyes to get good reading.Fortunately I don't have to look for the fish but they look for my life baits.Last week end was good fishing.
Landed enough fish to feed us for a week. Fresh fish is a must in Chinese Cooking.

I've seen the indicators at little machine shop #3709 for $80. "Real Interapids" go for around $180. Probably not that much better. They're way more versatile and easier to use because of the on center stem. They have dovetails too but in 30 years as a full tibe machinist I've never used the dovetails.

I often use the dovetails on my indicator to hold it. I have a swivel arm for the mill that can take the dovetail or shaft, and my magnetic base holds either as well.

Paul.

What are you using as a surface plate in post 4, Gus?

I have to second abbey in that I've never used a digital mike. I got into the hobby, like many others, on a budget. As a result I bought a bunch of used analog mics from a retired machinist and had them calibrated just in case. I got one of the cheap-o digital calipers and I fear it's got one foot in the grave, but for twelve bucks and being abused for over a year I think it's served me quite well.

If I could add to your list I'd say a good set of angle blocks, a good set of taps & dies, a granite slab and a decent machinist level have definitely made my life in the shop much easier.

I haven't found need for a dividing plate yet, though I suppose it would save me some time since I have found the need for a rotary table and have had to more or less manually divide a time or two.

Not to sound like somebodies grandmother, but every single tool list must list safety glasses in my not so humble opinion. Sure this should be drummed into newbies heads but it is too easy to forget or worse dismiss for the more seasoned machinist.

If you think not there is always that surprise chip that seems to defy logic and gravity to find you. It has happened to me with a hot chip sticking (literally) to my face. It was just one that did not follow his brothers on their path to the floor. Luckily it was my face, a mug that even a searing hot chip couldn't disfigure, and not the eyes. Safety glasses are a must for you and everybody else that comes in the shop.

In the Great White North most tool outfits like Princess Auto, Lee Valley Tools, and Busy (sorry it’s out of stock) Bee Tools etc. carry them. The pair I have my wife picked for me at Michaels an arts crafts store (boring ! all artsy craftsy) they had them in with the bead work and cross stitch stuff at a reasonable price. I’ve also seen them in some of the Hobby stores in town (premium price) so you should have no problem finding them locally.
Wizard69 – Never met a stupid Grandma. Safety glasses for everything from milling and grinding to just cleaning up in the shop. Have a prescription pair, saves wear and tear on my nice glasses

Surface plates are relatively cheap if you get the imports but beware shipping can cost you I picked up mine at the grizzly show room I have a 12 x 18 the current price is $45 but you can go twice as big for $10 more but almost 160 lbls so harder to move and takes up twice the bench space. so choices choices.

Air Force policy is double eye protection from grinding. So my shop has face shields.
I do not think of safety glasses as something for the tool boxes but something I wear everyday just like a pair of pants a shirt or work boots.

Tin

Hi Gus.

Sorry I did not get to come and meet you for a coffee, I was very busy on the boat once we got back to Singapore and I am now back home in Thailand. The optivisors are available here I been looking at them as I need to get one, if you need one let me know I will send you one over.

Dave

i would try amazon. this link is just one of the ones they have for a pretty good price. obviously will not be the quality of "interapid" etc but that will have more to do with longevity than function. and in the home shop environment should last a good while.
just a thought depending on your budget. i know i would much rather buy 2 or 3 items i can use and afford than just 1 top of the line item.
it is what it is
;)

Hi Purplerknif,

Plan to buy one .Please advise source. It is true as we plod along building
more advanced IC Engines, we need to build up our arsenal of tools.

1.Power mill table feed.

Getting tired of hand cranking. Plan to build one
we variable feed rate.

2. Rotary Table and divider plates.
This is on my list to prepare to cut spur gears.

What are you using as a surface plate in post 4, Gus?

Hi Ryan,

I am using an Ingersoll-Rand T-30 Model 3000 compressor valve plate which for serves my requirement. Looking for a surface place that is not to heavy.
At 70,it is tough to carry a real good surface to my 3rd floor flat.
Now thinking about using 1/2 0r 3/4 " ground stock flat bar. Having a small balcony machine is very limiting in space.

Hi Gus.

Sorry I did not get to come and meet you for a coffee, I was very busy on the boat once we got back to Singapore and I am now back home in Thailand. The optivisors are available here I been looking at them as I need to get one, if you need one let me know I will send you one over.

Dave

Hi Dave,

No worry.See you some other time. Now in Hatyai with my wife. Ha Ha.

I'm sorry, wizard. It is pretty funny that safety equipment gets lost in the sauce when tools are being thought of. I'm guilty of it on more threads than this one. My shop has a set of safety glasses approved for shrapnel at pretty much every machine, I also have a fire extenguisher between the mill and lathe, one at my fire place, and one next to my hazmat cabinet and soiled rag bin. A bonus is that I have first aid kits stashed all over. They aren't clearly marked but I know where they are and I'm the only one that's ever in there unless my wife is coming in to ask me to take out the garbage :( She picks on me, though, cause I have tourniquets hanging next to each of my fire extinguishers...you never know lol. I'd rather be laughed at for them hanging up than be laughed at for an EMT bleeding out in his own shop :p

Back