Admission of Idiocy

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Earlier this week I needed a project. I have two beautifull grand daughters, and each spring for the last 3 years, Grandpa has added something new to the back yard "play area". So far we have a small slide, a big slide, two swings, and an elevated "playhouse". This year, I decided that a teeter-totter (some call them a see-saw) was in order. I built some handles out of 1" steel tubing I had left over from another project, and thought---I had better plug the ends of those tubes to keep little fingers and nesting wasps out of the handles. I checked around in my "scrap rack" and when nothing there presented itself, I went out to my hot-rod garage. There I found an old set of king-pins of the perfect diameter to make weld in "plugs". I cut one into 4 pieces on my bandsaw, and in so doing, totally destroyed my bi-metal bandsaw blade. Those king-pins were harder than the devils horn!!!! Now I have to go and buy a new blade, and the damned things are $47.00 plus tax. Now everybody is entitled to make a mistake ONCE. No lives were lost, no property was destroyed. But when I called BusyBee to price a new blade the clerk looked it up in his records and reminded me that it was April 11 exactly one year ago that I had bought the current blade.--and then I remembered---I had destroyed the blade previous to that cutting off a bolt which happened to be too long---and was tempered!!! I think from now on, before I cut anything, I will test it like the old time pirates tested a coin to see if it was real gold. I'll bite the damned thing and see if I can leave a tooth impression before I take it to the bandsaw.
BACKYARDPLAYSTUFF001.jpg

I dunno Brian, dental insurance costs can be a LOT :eek: more expensive :big:

BC1
Jim

Brian: Check around and see if there is a local place that makes up bandsaw blades. I buy from a small business that is all they do. Their price for bi-metal variable pitch wavy is about $30.00 for the import 4x6. They make them while you wait. All different pitches and styles.

You may want to reconsider the plug material Brian.
I have trouble getting weld to stick properly on hardened steel
with my little flux core wire feed welder.

That's kind of like saying, it's hard to dig a well with a spoon.
But it's the only welder I have.

Rick

rake60 said:
I have trouble getting weld to stick properly on hardened steel
with my little flux core wire feed welder.

Rick

Rick, it's not likely because you're welding steel that's hardened, but that the piece probably has too much mass for that little wire to heat the surface fast enough to penetrate. If you have to try it again, heat up the piece to around 500f before you weld. Will make a difference, giving the wire the chance to form a puddle.

Just 2¢ worth from an ol' rod burner.

Dean

I can understand that Dean.

I can only wish for a rod burner here.
I have tried stick welding, but having no training what so ever at that,
the results were either "turkey s#!t" or a stuck rod melting.

Rick

rake60 said:
the results were either "turkey s#!t" or a stuck rod melting.

Rick

That's what my MIG welds look like. ::)

Best Regards
Bob

For an application like plugging the end of a 1" pipe to keep the bees out, it worked just fine. I don't have any problem with welding hardened steel for an application like that, but I would hesitate to use it in a high strength application. I put a nice 0.100"x 45 degree chamfer on the exposed end of kingpin piece using a carbide cutting tool in my lathe, then positioned it flush with the end of the pipe and filled in the chamfer with weld all around and ground it smooth. My problem now is that with the bifocals and trifocals I wear, I can't see worth a damn when I'm welding. I may have to get a pair of "drugstore" glasses which are just magnifiers to use with my welding helmet.

Hi Brian,

You can get a corrective lens insert for your helmet for a couple of bucks. As I recall, they go up to three diopters. I did and it is amazing how my welding improved.

Jack

I have been known to cut firewood from old pallets on my bandsaw and just know the blade will never be as good when sparks fly as I cut through a nail. :(
When the need to cut steel, which may be a little hard, or a stainless steel I use an angle grinder with a 1/16” thick cuttting disc. They work even better and maybe a bit safer in one of the holders that turn the angle grinder into a chop saw.
Dave Bick

capjak said:
Hi Brian,

You can get a corrective lens insert for your helmet for a couple of bucks. As I recall, they go up to three diopters. I did and it is amazing how my welding improved.

Jack

Thanks Capjak---I will ask about it at my welding supplier.---Brian

Brian,

Unless you can walk on water and perform miracles, you are no different to anyone else.

We all have brainfarts every now and again, and it ends up costing more money than it would have cost to buy a new bit rather than make it.

It is all part of life as we know it in our little worlds of making things. Just accept that it will happen every now and again, in your case, maybe next year (again) :wall: Rof}

Bogs

Bogs---I know it wasn't a scoff. If we can't poke a bit of fun at ourselves occasionally, then the world has gotten too serious.

Latest posts

Back