Adjustable mill table stops

Discussion in 'Machine Modifications' started by wheeltapper, Sep 5, 2012.

Help Support HMEM by donating using the link above.
  1. Sep 5, 2012 #1

wheeltapper

wheeltapper

wheeltapper

Hi
    I posted this over at MadModder and thought you might like to see it here.

I just fitted some adjustable stops to my Chester Conquest mill and thought you might like to see.

I've seen this done somewhere on the web but I can't for the life of me remember where, so I can't take credit for the idea.

This is the Y travel fitted on the l/h side
    [​IMG]

and the X travel fitted on the rear
    [​IMG]

I killed two birds with one stone here as the table movement has always been stiff and jerky, if I set the gibs in the centre of travel they locked up at the ends and adjusting at the end meant they flopped about in the centre.

So I stripped the tables right down and polished the gibs and dovetails and got it a bit better but they still got tight at the ends.

then I realised that not only do they slide against the dovetails but also against the bottom surface
    marked in this pic
    [​IMG]

and although the sliding surface on the underside of the tables was smooth and polished the surfaces in the pic looked like they had been hacked flat with a chisel.

also the ends were slightly higher than the middle.
    so, a quick touch with a fine file followed with a diamond hone and I had smooth travel all the way.

Cheers
    Roy

2. Nov 5, 2012 #2

Philipintexas

Philipintexas

Philipintexas

I've been playing with ideas on this subject and I like your approach. Now if I can incorporate a DRO it will be complete. Great idea.