Adding graduations to tailstock spindle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
The tailstock spindle on my B227L lathe from busy Bee Tools had no graduations on the spindle. This didn't hurt the operation of the lathe in any way, but it drove me a little crazy every time I had to drill a hole to a specific depth.
TAILSTOCKSPINDLE002.jpg

So---I complained about this over on another machining forum, and someone over there gave me a great solution. First, I found a "spare" machinists scale and sawed out a strip 3/8" wide x 1.5" long. (The total travel of my spindle is only about 1 5/8").
scaleontailstockspindle002.jpg

Then I set the tailstock spindle up in my mill, and with a 3/8" milling cutter, I milled a slot long and deep enough to accept the peice of scale I had cut off.
scaleontailstockspindle005.jpg

Simple, elegant and functional. What else is there to say? Thm:

Great way to fix the problem but for what it would of cost at manufacture you've got to wonder why it was left off

Nice idea, I'm going to try and remember this for when I need it. Good use for a 6" scale, other than the coffee stirring I usually use one for. ;D

Creative solution to a frustrating - very nice.

However, I have the same lathe and the tailstock handwheel on mine is graduated - one revolution is .125" with markings all round. Not as slick as you "glued on" ruler however.

Is your's not?

cheers, Graham in Embrun near Ottawa Canada

GrahamC said:
Creative solution to a frustrating - very nice.

However, I have the same lathe and the tailstock handwheel on mine is graduated - one revolution is .125" with markings all round. Not as slick as you "glued on" ruler however.

Is your's not?

cheers, Graham in Embrun near Ottawa Canada

Yes, mine has the dial graduations, but I'm more comfrotable with a scale I can read.---Brian

P7150006.jpg

P7150007.jpg

Maybe tilted so as not to interfere with the lock handle on top?
Works well for me and my quill is already graduated. Just much easier to read and re zero at any point.

Rgds

What a nice first post , Xtroll would be a more suitable name.

Back