Added a generator to my Chuck's Single

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugnut

Reaction score
I have been playing with my little Chuck's Single today, and added a working generator to it. Had a bugger of a time fitting a small light bulb to the lamppost, but found one in my box of stuff. The generator is a little motor salvaged from a HP printer and the covering is from a brass drain pipe and some scrap copper.

Mel

:bow: Very nice, and inspiring...which is a way of saying, "Hey, I want to shamelessly copy your idea!" ;D

I'm sorry for the Poor quality of the video, but it's from my cell phone and it is all I have.
Vernon, It was not my idea, someone here on this forum showed one a year ago or so. I will post some photos of the making of the end caps for the generator. I made a die to press the ends of the generator.
Mel

Very nice Mel Thm: Thm: Thm: what size bulb did you use ? did you make a mount for the motor ?
Regards Rob

Good one Mel :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

lugnut said:
Vernon, It was not my idea, someone here on this forum showed one a year ago or so.

Well, I know you didn't invent the stationary generator idea ;D but your implementation looks good. I'd rigged up motors-as-generators on my old Wilesco as a kid, but nothing this nice. When I get around to building a stationary engine I'll follow your example.

I thought a few still photos of the generator and the dies I made to build it would help. Rob ask about the size of bulb, it's a CM-370. I think it was from a car dash/instrument panel.
P1010014014.jpg

The case is made from some brass drain pipe, the ends are from copper flashing.
P1010020020.jpg

I made the female die from a piece of brass pipe and male die is steel because that is what I had. next time I would polish the mating surfaces some.
P1010006006-2.jpg

I cut a round dish of copper and pressed it in the dies with my bench vise.
P1010007007-2.jpg

then http://http:chucked it all up in the lathe and parted off the excess copper.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/lugnut/Chucks%20Single/P1010008008-2.jpg
The result is the endcaps for the generator housing
P1010009009-2.jpg

It is threads. I used a piece of old brass gate valve stem and left the threads on because they looked different. I still have about a foot of the stem material left, now I need to find a project for it.
Mel

Pretty neat! Nice housing for the generator. Really makes it look like it belongs with that good looking engine.

Nice set-up Mel :)

And thanks for the still photos and the step-by-step on the die for the end caps :)

Regards, Arnold

Thjat looks great!

I have the parts to try one on my flame licker.

Thanks for the motivation.

I see that I had left out the step for cutting the excess material from the end caps using the lathe. Just chucked up the male die with the end cap pressed on with short length of rod and held in place with the tail stock ram. Then using a small parting off tool, removed the excess.
P1010008008-2.jpg

Mel

Latest posts

Back