Quantcast

Adapting a pillar drill for vertical milling - new chuck

Help Support HMEM:

MRA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2012
Messages
170
Reaction score
36
...and the result works really well. I can now put a 1mm cut on in mild steel with a 3/8" end mill, and using some soluble oil in a cheapo squeezy pipette I can get a good cut with very little vibration and a reasonable rate of feed. Finish is good.

So...next installments might be adding power x-feed (I have some ancient small DC motors with worm gearboxes on the end), and if I get really ridiculous, adding the much-too-large spare Bridgeport DRO which I could loan from the lab workshop where I work. We'll see!

cheers
Mark
 

Cogsy

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Global Moderator
Joined
Jul 30, 2012
Messages
2,895
Reaction score
865
Location
Perth, Western Australia
A quick note on the bearing (BTW with metric bearings 20mm I.D. and above, the last 2 digits of the number are the shaft size divided by 5, so 6205 = 05x5 = 25mm) you can buy a few metric standard sizes with imperial I.D.'s - 6205 is one of them. Almost any bearing shop should have something like a 6205/25.4-2RS sitting on the shelf. Bit late now I know but if you ever get stuck in a similar situation adapting metric to imperial it's worth a little investigation.

Your mill/drill looks like it was worth the effort. Nice job!
 

MRA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2012
Messages
170
Reaction score
36
Thanks, and thanks for the heads-up on metric bearings for English shafts - I didn't know about that.

I wonder if anyone recognises the maker's trademark cast into the side of the column supporting the miller table. I'm curious to find a picture of whatever it once belonged to.

P4120047small.jpg
 

MRA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2012
Messages
170
Reaction score
36
Hello again!

Bringing this thread back from the dead - here's what happened when I added the 'incline motor' from a dead treadmill I bought (for the main DC motor which I'm going to play with on my lathe).

I tapped the end of the x-axis lead screw to 2BA, and loctited a bolt in. I'm using a 12pt 2BA socket as a dog clutch to drive it, attached to a 3/8" square drive filed into the output shaft of the worm gearbox on the motor.

The bronze lump is for the motor housing to push onto - you pull it off until the 'clutch' disengages, in order to drive the table by hand. I did it in bronze since my mate and I were experimenting with melting copper and some tin which 'Abby' of this forum very kindly sold me. If you look closely you can see where I failed to provide a feed for the thick bit of the fixture and it shrunk as it cooled. Works OK, though.

I get 25v ac from a 'Memlo' lo-volt lamp transformer, which was a previously unused part of a shed light fitting. I rectify this in the little die-cast box and feed a PWM motor controller which was something daft like 3 quid from China. It has no feedback so it slows a little under load, but this is OK in this application. On top there's a switch to reverse polarity / change direction, and there's a nice green light on it which my late father-in-law harvested during a TV transmitter re-installation in the Irish Republic many years ago (he was one of the original crew of TV engineers on RTE); slowly I find uses for the bits of his stash I inherited!

All this means I can cut longer slots whilst paying more attention with the plastic pipette full of soluble oil. It seems to work ok.

Oh - edit to add - this also provides a speed-controlled PSU for my Dremel-a-like engraving tools, so that's handy!

cheers
Mark

P2020001small.jpg


P2020002small.jpg


P2020004small.jpg


P2020005small.jpg


P2020006small.jpg
 
Top