A V8 Maybe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Pete,
Have not had much time to visit the site. Wanted to pop in and see how your engine is coming along. I am now back home in South Texas, retired, and cleaning up around the house and workshop.
I hope all is well with you and will continue to follow your progress. It has been a learning curve for me to see how you make and turn parts.

Hay Luc
You look like your well on the way with your hit n miss
Thanks MM Congrats on the retirement :cool:
I have a bit of a learning curve of my own at the moment as this weekend I made up a 32 DP straight Hob with a hand ground 20 degree tool then took it over to the mill and used a slitting saw to relive the cutters.
After hardening the tool I put up a bit of one inch brass scrap and took a trial cut.
After making sure I had all 30 teeth I took it down to depth and then put back in the lathe to clean up and part off.
Pete

Last edited:
Thanks Luc
If I'm real lucky It may even work, But I guess we all got to start somewhere :fan:
Pete

Looks like it should work Pete. I looked into making my own hobbs and got a bit of a brain ache. Interesting to see how it goes.
Brock

Hi Brock
So far Im over the moon with the Hob process, a few teething problems with the first gear, I got a little confused with depth of cut on the 30 tooth Crank gear and will remake it tomorrow but the 60 tooth Cam gear is done now. Its amazing how much easier things go the second time around, This time I took it to depth and simply cut all the teeth at full depth. ;D
Pete

Looks brilliant! I am quite a big fan of the hob method myself. My next step is better process control in the hardening, so I wont be afraid of going full depth on a steel blank, then next thing you know, you find yourself wanting to build a Quorn. Its a never ending vicious cycle.:D

Hi Pete,
I have used the hob method for some time now. Way back when I was doing my transmission there was quite a bit of discussion on the making and use of hobs within my transmission thread. The most note-worthy information is that a true involute profile isn't generated in gears with smaller tooth counts. Although I didn't find this a problem with the gears I have made I understood why it happens and in the process similar to making miter gears I would rotate the gear blank a fractional turn and then recut with the hob. It worked out very nicely.
Isn't it a joy when you learn a new machining process that gives good results?
gbritnell

Hi Lakc
I'm happy enough to use brass until I've played around a little and a lovely thing with the Hob is after the first cut, a full depth cut is only taking a tiny cut anyway :D
George
You are so right!
It is a Joy and the most startling thing about the whole process is just how easy it is :cool:
Thank you very much for the fractional tip, I had not thought of that and will do a few experiments after remaking my 30 tooth Thm:
Pete

Hello Pete.
I have been looking at this site for some time and watching this build as well.
I know you say that the blueprints you have for this engine are not very good but is there a place that I can get them.
It will be a long time before I can make something like this.
And I am trying to get information on on a few things like gears.
Where or how did you get information on how to make gears and the broach to cut them.
Thanks John.

Hi John
The straight Hob I made for my gears only approxamate a true involute tooth shape but for model engine use are cheap to make and work very well.
My hob cost me nothing to make and can make a whole range of gears while a set of eight commercial cutters would be needed otherwise, costing a small fortune.
If you want to try a straight Hob, go to Utube and watch 'Hobbynuts' videos on the subject.
Send me your Email but be warned the plan set is unusable without a whole lot of changes.
Pete

Last edited:
Hello Pete,
Hope things are moving along well for you. I keep following to see how and where your V8 is. Just wanted to drop a line and say I look forward to updates as they happen.
Take care, Danny

G'day Pete,

I hope all is well, how is the V8 engine coming along?

The new profile picture looks awesome with the supercharger belts and accessories on the engine.
mate when the job is all done and is up and running I was thinking of jumping on a plane and coming over for a day trip to hear the thing for real. I have a heap of frequent flyer points that I can burn up.

Glad you are able to get your head around those dodgy plans I gave you. The bloke that sold them too me must of been sitting back laughing at me.

Baz.

Hi Guys
The V8 is still creeping along, I cast the Bellhousing the other day and am working on the Sparkplugs now.
I have not posted here as the whole 'free gift membership' thing bothers me,
Things like that run out and I'm simply not in a position to pay to see my own builds in the future.
Baz I would really enjoy that, I will need someone to hold the Camera for the Video.(If it runs that is) :D
As for the plans, Its been a long time since I actually looked at them, I think it would be finished by now if I did not have to redesign everything as I go :wall:
Pete

Last edited:
I have not posted here as the whole free gift membership thing bothers me,
Things like that run out and I'm simply not in a position to pay to see my own builds in the future.

Pete what do you mean by this
having to pay to see our post??

Yes Pete--What do you mean? If it ever gets to the point I have to pay ANYTHING to be a member or to see posts on this forum, there will be a thunderclap when the air rushes in to fill the space my ass left behind on this forum!!!---Brian

Good day Pete,
Thought I would drop a line to see how things are coming along. I am not sure what the paying is all about. I will continue to follow your build as long as you are on the site. If you have an email let me know. Would like to keep up with your builds.

Latest posts

Back