A Tiny 3 cylinder Holt based engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Well the engine is finished and running. If you followed the build thread then you know the construction and initial running wasn't without incidents.
Today I took it out on the bench and after a few adjustments it ran quite well but much faster than I had expected. The simple carb was much similar to the one used on the series of Tiny hit and miss engines so with the increased bore diameter of this engine I thought it would run slower.
I took it back down to the shop and installed the original throttling carb then went back out for another try.
While turning it over I started opening the needle valve until it caught and ran. While running I adjusted the ignition timing from the initial setting of about 15 degrees to almost 25 and it smoothed right out.
Here is the video published on Youtube.
Thanks for following the build and commenting along the way.
gbritnell
P.S. I'll have it at the Zanesville engine show this weekend.
https://youtu.be/c_KtDdeMepk

Outstanding.

I followed the build, but I didn't really understand how small it is until now. It's such a nice runner and it still kinda sounds like a Holt.

I envy your speed in completing projects. Best of luck with what's next.

Regards,

--ShopShoe

Back