A THREAD FOR LURKERS ONLY

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mklotz

Reaction score
As I look through the member list I see that there are an overwhelming number of forum members who have never posted. (A recent PM from one of our moderators indicates that of 2076 members there are 1496 who have never posted.) People lurk (and I don't use that term disparagingly - I lurk myself on several fora) for a variety of reasons which we don't really need to address in this thread. I'm not so much interested in why you lurk as I am in what we can do to elicit your participation. I'm sure that many of you have much to offer and I'd really like to know if there is anything we can do to get you involved.

My question, then, addressed to the lurkers directly, is:

What is it that we (the forum staff and participants) could do to encourage you to post?

I appeal to the active members (who I will arbitrarily define for the purposes of this thread as anyone who has made five or more posts on the forum) to NOT respond to this thread. Let's give the lurkers a chance to voice their ideas without the intimidation of having to worry about what the regulars will say. If any good ideas surface from this effort, we can address them in separate threads.

So, that's it - say what's on your mind freely. No pressure.

Nota Bene: Since I posted the above this thread has had, contrary to my appeal above, at least three posts by regular, i.e., non-lurker, posters who apparently didn't read what I wrote. I've taken the liberty of deleting those posts in an effort to preserve this thread, as the title states, for lurkers only.

Guilty as charged.

I found this site a short time ago and have spent quite a bit of time reading the very interesting info available. Lurking if you will.

I have been a HSM of and on for a number of years and have built a few crude (in my mind) steam engines from plans I found on ebay or internet. I am currently trying to build the "cfellows" hit n miss air engine

I have an old Logan 815 (10" x 24") that I bought about 25 years ago and took a lot of time reconditioning prior to using. It had been used since new by an old machinist in his home shop so was in pretty good shape. I also have a mill/drill that I bought new at about the same time and have just recently purchased a Grizzly X2 type mini mill that I immediately converted to belt drive.

I hope to be able to participate more in the future.

Allen

Guilty m'lud.

I've been lurking here for a few months getting ideas and inspiration for when I try and make my first model engine. I've had a small lathe for just over a year now and use it for making bits and bobs for my classic motorbikes. As yet I don't own a mill nor do I have a vertical slide so I suppose I'm limited as to what I can achieve as far as engine building goes. Also bear in mind that as a truck driver I've had absolutely no experience of machining although I really enjoy using my lathe.
I do enjoy reading all the posts and appreciate the work that you all put into engine building and also the work that goes into getting it all on here

I look at the work you people produce and I just sit and gawp in wonder!

Regards

Doug

I too am guilty of this lurking lark. I hope to get in a few more posts in the near future as I have now got my new workshop to more or less being finished. The lathe and mill have been overhauled and I spent this weekend fitting DRO`s to them both(a very worthwhile investment).
Like Dave above I have a few casting sets that I bought, as he did, when the exchange was good. These are for I.C. engines of different types.
I really enjoy looking through these forums and find there is a multitude of hints and tips to be found throughout and no changes need to be made in my view.

Cheers,
MartinH

Hello, my name is Jim and I am a lurker, :D. According to website stats for a total 3 days, 22 hours and 56 minutes. I haven't yet built a steam/air or IC engine and by the looks of things it will be a while, I'm in the middle of another project that consumes most of my time, its a machine/tool and does require a lot of turning, milling, drilling, tapping, welding and head scratching but its a long way from the focus of this forum, except that they are both mechanical and involve levers and cams etc. so from that stand point, I lurk to pickup ideas for tools, techniques and inspiration. I have a few ideas on what type of engine I will build when I get the time, hopefully that will be sooner than later, until then I've enjoyed following the build threads and hope to contribute in the future.

I'm not so much interested in why you lurk as I am in what we can do to elicit your participation. I'm sure that many of you have much to offer and I'd really like to know if there is anything we can do to get you involved.

To answer your question. One cannot have enough, tools, shop space, raw material, bench space or time. Right now its time that is in short supply, or is it just that I'm not using it wisely................ Hmmmmmm ?

Regards

Jim

I am sorry to say yes I am a lurker. I really don't have a finished product yet to show you all. I do have 6 or so projects in some form of production. The reason for so many is I get to a place where I don't know how to machine something with what I have and move on to something else that I know how to do. Keeps the chips flying. I must say as a lurker I have learned a lot from this site and am sure I will learn a lot more and some day hope to be able to show something that does look like something other that a piece of metal. By the way I am self taught in machine work with an old smithy at300 and a micro-mark mill. But at least I am having fun.

For me as a complete novice, it's difficult to come up with anything to offer as I've yet to build an engine or even start to build one, so until then, I'm not sure if anything can be done to make me participate more.
Don't worry, when the time comes I'll not be afraid to stick my head above the parapet and ask advice or to throw in my two pennorth.

Hope that doesn't sound too selfish.

I don't suppose I would ever qualify as a lurker. :D
I am the gabbiest member of this forum.

The local lottery catch phrase is: "You can't win if you don't play."
Could we pervert that to: "You can't learn if you don't ask!"

We have a lot of talented home hobby machinists here.
They are rightfully proud of their accomplishments.
I can't think of ONE of them who would not be prouder for
seeing a new beginners first wobbler running, knowing that their
personal experience helped that first build to become a successful
project.

There are NO stupid questions!
Being afraid to ask a question here....
Well, that is were stupid is on the verge of kicking in. ;)

This IS a great and rewarding hobby.
It can be safe and successful for every project with the support of
the experience available here.

Rick

Latest posts

Back