A Table Engine Tale

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A great thread to follow!!!! ;D
Excellent work and amazing pictures that do a lot of explaining!!! Thm:
I am sure a lot of us have learnt something from you and will refer back to this thread!

A speedy recovery for you from the surgery!!!
What will you do with all your time away from the shop?? :big:
R&R is a good thing!!!

Thank you for the wonderful journey!
Looking forward to the completion and the video!!!! ;D

Andrew

Hi everyone, I hope I am doing this right as I am working to hazy instructions dictated by a very drowsy man from his hospital bed!
Ramon wishes to thank you all for your kind thoughts, best wishes, and messages of support. He would like you to know that his op has been completed successfully, and he will be back on here just as soon as he gets home again - which hopefully will be early next week.
Regards, Sue

Thanks for the update Sue. :)

Great to hear that all went well ... keep us posted. Thm:

Best wishes ...

Pat H.

That is terrific news Sue and thank-you so very much for relaying. Let Ramon know that he has been on our minds and look forward to seeing him back in action, that is *ONLY* after the doctors say he may do so. Be sure he gets his rest and best regards.

BC1
Jim

Thank you Sue, that is good news. We will wait patiently for more of our medicine. There is no hurry, the important thing is to do it right (the way Ramon does things in the workshop)

Jim

Glad to hear Ramon will be good as new. Tell him we will be making chips for him in his absence.
Alan

Ramon said:
Hi everyone, I hope I am doing this right as I am working to hazy instructions dictated by a very drowsy man from his hospital bed!
Ramon wishes to thank you all for your kind thoughts, best wishes, and messages of support. He would like you to know that his op has been completed successfully, and he will be back on here just as soon as he gets home again - which hopefully will be early next week.
Regards, Sue

Thanks Sue - you did it right! Give Ramon my best as well!

Great to her Ramon is on the mend give him all our best.

Stew

Path said:
Thanks for the update Sue. :)

Great to hear that all went well ... keep us posted. Thm:

Best wishes ...

Pat H.

DITTO! Do what you have to do Ramon....and Sue! ;D
We'll be here!

Dave

Great to hear he is doing well. Give him our best for a speedy recovery.

Ron

Well guy's after a bit of a roller coaster ride I finally got home on Tuesday but this is the first time I've been allowed by Sue, who is adopting her best 'Nurse Catheter' impression, anyware near this thing.

The op has been a success and the long term outlook is very good Thm: Thm: so I would just like to say thanks for all those good wishes, both before and post op, they really mean a great deal.

I think it would be a fair description to say the 'old boiler' has been well and truly 're- tubed' but it's going to be some time before there's a lick of flame in the firebox. On that note then I'm going to take Cap'n Jerry's advice and that of the Med team who were at pains to insist things don't get overdone in the coming weeks (not to mention the beady eye of the resident nurse ;)) but as soon as I'm able I'll get back onto that 'final chapter'.

Please don't feel there's a need to respond to this you've all done enough already - really. Just wanted you to know I will be back as soon as I can

Regards - Ramon

welcome back Ramon!

Take good heed of the Dr's and your wife's direction!!! th_rulze
They know best!!!

Andrew

Ramon,
You're a lucky man to have Nurse Catheter by your side. You mind her and get your rest. There is plenty of time to get back in the play room after you have healed.
Alan

Welcome back Ramon and thank you Sue for the update. We met last year at Forncett and we are not far away, so shout if we can do anything. Ramon's got our number.

Best wishes

Andy and Miranda

Ramon I have just read you thread and would like to say that I am glad you are doing OK. This thread has been a fascinating journey and a real learning lesson for me since I am a newbie. Your attention to detail is fascinating and very inspiring. Please keep up your teaching and well documented thread and never feel you are over doing,some of us are not as talented as you and your teaching will help us get there.

Best Regards Don

Hey Ramon,

I jump in and read every time you post....PLEASE keep it coming....with lots of detail!

I love it!

Dave

Well guy's after what seemed like I'd never get there I finally got back to a few hours a day in the 'retreat' this week gone.

Before we get into that though I would just like to say a big thank you for all your kind comments over this thread so far. What you don't know is that my/our worries began just a few days before I made my first post on this site. Posting on here and focusing on it on a daily basis really helped take my mind off things - you all know what I mean I'm sure - and with all your input it proved a real God send. I'm pleased to say though that worst fears have not been met, the outlook as good as it can be at 67 and despite a significant loss to the 'inards' I've recovered well and though tiring quickly definitely am feeling a bit better each day - I'm workshop bound at last then :D

The re-start began by edging the base with some decent wood. The base proper was made quite a while ago and consists of two layers of kitchen work top, the surface of which has a very subtle but patternless textured surface. The cut out for the flywheel which is quite deep was milled out with a long series end mill on each piece and a rebate cut for edging with some dummy 'bricks' at a later stage. Not having any clamps large enough the drill press was pressed (excuse the pun) into service along with some weighty blocks of metal.

DSCN4416.JPG

The wood is just on 80mm wide and considered to be too wide for a decent mitre to be cut so the corners will be filled in with corner 'posts' and faired off.

Then it was time to strip the engine down....and start prepping for painting.
DSCN4418.JPG

All the parts and particularly the previously primed parts were washed in a very hot solution of water and 'Citri-Cleen' a very efficient biodegradeble degreaser to ensure no traces of oil were left in the primed surfaces.
Then the fun bit - masking up.
Time was, masking was considered a real pain, something to be got over as quick as possible so that painting could begin. Then, after returning some time back to some serious plastic modelling it soon became clear that the masking is actually the important bit. Getting that right is worth all the effort, the act of the painting itself is the minor part,to a degree that is - well that's how it's perceived now and masking is no longer the chore it used to be.

One thing I did find here though was it's much easier to cut the masking tape around an outline using a fine file than a scalpel. This proved much quicker and left a far more consistent edge.
DSCN4423.JPG

Some of the parts were used as simple masks too, the over spray being cleaned off with thinner before they too were primed seperately
DSCN4425.JPG

Three good coats were applied, the first two being rubbed down with very fine scotch brite and the last smoothed using a 'microfibre' polishing cloth. These will now be left for a couple of days - well until the next warmish day that is - before the top coat is applied. I'm still having doubts about the colour so a revisit to Halfords paint section is on the cards.
DSCN4434.JPG

BTW the copper/brass parts in the background have had self etch primer thinly applied using a brush. These too will be left to allow the etch to really get a grip - apparently if a top coat is applied too soon the etching action ceases.

The small blocks are also a carry over from plastic modelling. Small pieces of white faced particle board are ideal for this and with the parts held in place with Blue Tack or similar, make handling so much easier.
DSCN4436.JPG

Well that's as far as today got - waiting for paint to dry - well harden - can try your patience but I'm sure you'd agree painting should never be rushed. It might therefore be 'a day or two' before there's something else to report but I can tell this for certain - it is nice to be back. :) :D ;D

Regards to you all - Ramon

PS If you are reading this Stew seems I missed your Project of the Month award for your Popcorn engine- Well done and congratulations - well deserved Thm: Thm: Thm:

Back