A Stothert & Pitt beam engine.

Discussion in 'Photos and Videos' started by Tomlinson, Mar 13, 2017.

Help Support HMEM by donating using the link above.
  1. Sep 26, 2018 #21

Jasonb

Jasonb

Jasonb

Project of the Month Winner!!! Project of the Month Winner

I was not suggesting moving the ctrs of the engine but placing the cylinder bore off ctr of teh piece of solid rod this would keep all dimensions the same.

Cylinder flanges are 38mm dia it is the "waist" in the middle that is 28mm dia and the valve chest is a piece of rectangular stock with a 14mm radius curve cut out of it to fit over the 28mm dia. But 57 does seem rather large

Quick sketch to show how the cylinder needs to be off ctr of the stock (green circle) otherwise the corners of the valve chest won't fit.

SnP.JPG

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    LorenOtto likes this.
  2. Sep 26, 2018 #22

Jmccrack

Jmccrack

Jmccrack

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

Very nice

3. Sep 26, 2018 #23

Mike_Bondarczuk

Mike_Bondarczuk

Mike_Bondarczuk

Hi Jenny,

What a small world we live in and I also have a complete kit from Cotswold for the Stothert and Pitt Beam engine, which I managed to purchase from Jo, who may be on this site but is certainly on the Model Engine Maker site.

I have studied the drawings, all 99 of them and also have reprints of the Anthony Mount build log which I shall be using as a reference as well as monitoring your progress as you post your log.

I have just started to build a Clarkson Tandem Compound engine from castings via Blackgates and the drawings are really basic when compared to the Heritage drawings and a lot of calculations are required just to get the basics in order, and a log will follow s soon as I have something to report.

Looking forward to seeing more of your build,

Mike

4. Sep 26, 2018 #24

rogerbh

rogerbh

rogerbh

In an earlier post I said I was building one, well I still am, I've had a lot of long term distractions but will start again soon, all the materials for the next project a Farm Boy hit’n miss is on the bench making me feel guilty!
    I think your idea of machining the steam chest and cylinder as one piece is a good idea but will make it a lot more complicated. I had to buy a bigger torch to silver solder them together.
    I will be following your posts with interest.

5. Sep 27, 2018 #25

Jasonb

Jasonb

Jasonb

You could just machine the valve face as part of the cylinder to save having to do any soldering and retain the separate valve chest. This will make it easier to mill the ports and lap the port face which is hard to do down in the bottom of a cavity. If you want to make the most of the metal then saw enough off the side to make the valve chest from first.

6. Sep 28, 2018 #26

Jmccrack

Jmccrack

Jmccrack

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

Here are a couple of cylinders I did for Twin Cyl horizontal I built. Machining the body radius was interesting.

upload_2018-9-27_16-5-38.jpeg

LorenOtto and BIGTREV like this.
  7. Sep 28, 2018 #27

Jasonb

Jasonb

Jasonb

A lot will depend on whether you follow the AM drawings which show a much simplified cylinder or if you decide to make things closer to the original engine which will require quite a few undercuts and the exhaust stub to be dealt with. If the latter then a built up cylinder may be the better option though it is possible to do complex ones from solid depending what tooling you have available.

This is a solid one
    [​IMG]

And this built up is probably the closest I have done to your full size engine with the valve chest mounting onto a flange rather than the simplified solid block.

[​IMG]

nel2lar and LorenOtto like this.
  8. Sep 28, 2018 #28

Jennifer Edwards

Jennifer Edwards

Jennifer Edwards

Retired E-Commerce Sytems Architect
    Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
    Thanks Mike,

I ammazed by how many people have come out of the woodwork who either have built, are building, or will build one of these. A friend of mine (Vic Frances) has a piece of bronze about the same size as the one Cotswld provided, so I decided to build this one the way the plans are drawn. But I will have the spare raw material to play with carving in the steam chest.

Today i finally started the actual work on the project. I'll ost some images when i begin to actually assemble something.

Jenny

LorenOtto likes this.
  9. Sep 29, 2018 #29

lbarnett48

lbarnett48

lbarnett48

Len

LorenOtto likes this.
  10. Sep 30, 2018 #30

Jennifer Edwards

Jennifer Edwards

Jennifer Edwards