A small boiler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for the help. Wally I have a 2008 copy of the code and have followed the formula in K.N.Harris's book. Looks like I shall be haveing words with the club tester. R.G.Y.

Hi folks question phospher bronze for bushings is there a diference between this and plane old brass rod thanks Andy

Hi Andy

Brass rod is not the same as bronze, even though they look the same. Brass is mostly made of an alloy of copper and zinc, while bronze is an alloy of copper and tin. Both can have some additional elements added to make different varieties of each.

Use of brass is discouraged for boiler bushings, as the zinc in it will leach out over time, making joints brittle, that's why bronze is the preferred metal for bushings and so on.

When looking for bronze for bushings, make sure to steer clear of aluminium bronze - it contains some aluminium and can be problematic to solder/braze. Phosphor Bronze works a treat though Thm:

Regards, Arnold

I thought that phosphor bronze was porous. At least the one used in motor bushings is. I use to lubricate them by pressing a bushing filled with oil between my fingers until the oil "sweated" through the little pours.

Noitoen, I think you are thinking of sintered bushings which are made by compressing metal powders into the desired shape.and are therefore porous..
cheers Stew

R.G.Y. said:
R.G.Y. is in darkest SOUTH DEVON over looking the sea & river TEIGN.
Now there's a place I'm familiar with, one of my best chums lives in Teignmouth, not far from where the railway line passes under the Dawlish road.

GWRdriver, THANKS FOR REMINDING ME OF THIS POST. THE CLUB TESTER DID EVENTUALY AGREE TO A TEST. WHICH IT PASSED. I HAVE SUCSESSFULLY STEAMED THE ENGINE, BUT NOT IN THE BOAT YET. R.G.Y.

AllThumbs said:
Drilling a hole in the back of the female part of the mold would have made it possible to push out the copper disk from the back.

Eric

You could also put an air line fitting in the back and blow it out!

Regards, Matthew

Hi Mathew.

That would possibly work.

The copper grease did the trick in the end for me.

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich, I followed along with baited breathe (peuw) :eek: when you first did this series and I have just now gone back and re-read it once again, good stuff. Thm: The reason being that I remembered bits and pieces of this article and have been contemplating building a boiler of Jan Gunnarson design and yours has some very striking similarities. I really like the way that you made formers from Oak to shape the end plates rather that merely bashing the bits to death with a mallet. Copper anti-seize huh? I just wanted to say thanks again for showing us all of your great work.

BC1
Jim

The copper slip would seal the air well!

Regards, Matthew

firebird said:
Hi Mathew.

That would possibly work.

The copper grease did the trick in the end for me.

Cheers

Rich

Hi

Yes mathew it would certainly seal it. The punch and die were intended to be used just the once to make the end plates for this boiler so I could have actually cut them open if it came to it. The chances of me coming across another piece of copper tube the same size is remote. If I was going to use them repeatedly to make several boilers then a better method of extraction would certainly be needed.

Jim, the beauty of using the press method is the copper only has to be annealed once. The completed plate can be made in one operation and comes out very neat. It didn't take long to make the punch and die and is a method I intend to use on my next project which will have a 4 inch diameter boiler.

Cheers

Rich

Hi! Is there a way to replace the pictures and then make this permenant, so we can all benefit from it.
Thank-you Mike.

Hi! Is there a way to replace the pictures and then make this permenant, so we can all benefit from it.
Thank-you Mike.

Hear, hear. There is nothing more frustrating, than to find what was obviously a very informative build, open it up and find all the photographs are not there!!!!!!!

Hi Rich
I'd like to see the pics myself. Why do they disappear? I just finished this scaled down gas regulator for my own boiler but haven't worked out the burner design yet. It's a french drawing in metric scaled to 1/32 to 1 mm thru draft sight. Could you please repost a picture of you're fine work to refresh my memory.
Thanks
Johnny O

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

heres my vote to replace the pictures
I'm sure theres a wealth of info in them
if theres anyway to get them back I 'd sure be very appreciative
cheers
Joe

good afternoon, I'm doing a project and I have a big doubt. please want to know:
I have a boiler that produces steam 3200kg/hr (design)
the burner has an output of 2990 kW. (design)
As I PLG gas supply to the burner for receive that amount of steam?
The PLG must keep gas in the tank storage for my boiler does not run out of fuel?
Please send me if you can also formulas to calculate the consumption of PLG. (liquefied petroleum gas).
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back