A small boiler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rich,

Strange you mentioned that about the vent hole. I forgot to put one on my small meths wick burner for my hot air engine. Now that I've drilled one, it doesn't burn as well! ???

Boiler is looking superb, I too am wondering what sort of engine you will now build to go with it! It will have to be good to do it justice, that's for sure!

Nick

Hi Bob & Nick

This will be my first steam engine so I have a bit of research to do first. I understand how an oscillating engine works but I think something a little more is needed to compliment the boiler. I need to learn how slide valves work and eccentrics etc. Another huge learning curve. One step at a time is the way to go ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Rich

Rich,

You're right there, it deserves much more than an oscillating engine. Slide valve with reversing gear I reckon! Or a beam engine! Sure you will have great fun and learn a lot ;D

Hi

I carried out a little mod to the burner today in the form of a bung in the filler plug vent hole. First a bit of video. I lit the burner just to remind myself how it performed with the vent hole open.

Firstly the filler plug was drilled through and tapped 3/16 x 40 in the top as deep as I could go. The bung is a simple turning job from 5/16 round brass knurled a bit and threaded 3/16 x 40. I moved it to the mill and clamped it in the vise at an angle and milled a slot with a 1/16 cutter.

Turned and threaded and knurled.

DSC07958.jpg

Mill a slot at an angle.

DSC07964.jpg

Part off.

DSC07966.jpg

Fitted in the filler plug.

DSC07969.jpg

Under test the burner performed better, a little pressure seemed to make it burn better. By loosening the bung to expose the slot the flame noticeably drops so I now have some control. Coupled with the adjustable vents in the boiler housing I should have a good degree of control.

Some video of the second test with the bung fully closed. Sorry about the noise in the background I forgot to turn the telly off!

Cheers

Rich

Hi

I'm satisfied now that the burner will perform ok so I stripped the boiler down. I can clean and polish all the pieces now and then line the housing with insulation. Heres some photos of all the bits.

DSC07950.jpg

DSC07951.jpg

DSC07952.jpg

DSC07953.jpg

DSC07954.jpg

DSC07955.jpg

DSC07956.jpg

DSC07957.jpg

Cheers

Rich

Beautiful work! You've certainly hung in there to make a boiler that is not only functional but also looks very good. Congratulations on the job. Any plans for a name plate like the big ones?
Regards, :bow:
Ernie J

Divided He ad said:
Hi Rich,

Very neat! 8)

Glad to see it all working, I really like the lever and pivot system for the vents... Very easy for me to remember :D

No issues with the extra nuts on the front... They are needed so they must be there ;)

Not wanting to sound pushy or such like, just a question... How much do you have left to do to it?

I only ask because I really want to see you build the engine for it to power ;D

Ralph.

Model Engineers Steam Generator

Model A1 Serial no. 001

Would look nice etched into brass and filled in with black paint. ;)

You should toot you horn for this one, I think its a wonderfully detailed specimen. Good job Sir,
Kermit

Hi

My good mate Julian, who has just finished converting his x1 mill to full 3 axis cnc, took it upon himself to make this for me.

DSC07973.jpg

DSC07975.jpg

He's a good lad isn't he.

The boiler will eventually drive an engine and the two will be mounted on a nice base so I will probably fit the brass name plate to that.

Cheers

Rich

Rich,

Yes Julian is a good lad
mgeye-popping.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Hi

Well I've spent most of my spare time this week polishing the bits. The ally parts have been giving me some trouble however. The funnel, funnel base and boiler housing top plate have all polished up ok but the boiler housing will not polish well no matter what I try. It just seems to stay a dull colour. The best I've come up with is this stuff, solvol, that gives a reasonable polish. filthy stuff though, my hands ended up stained black so rubber gloves are needed.

DSC07982.jpg

With all the parts cleaned and polished to a reasonable level I have started the re-build and fitting of the insulation material.

The insulation material.

DSC07977.jpg

A thin smear of silicon to hold it in place.

DSC07978.jpg

DSC07979.jpg

DSC07980.jpg

DSC07981.jpg

The boiler has been re-fitted and has insulation material on the top.

DSC07983.jpg

Re-fitting the vent controls

DSC07985.jpg

DSC07986.jpg

This is how far I have got with re-building

DSC07990.jpg

DSC07991.jpg

Cheers

Rich

Wow, lookin' good.

What material are you using for the insulation? Aren't you worried about smoking from the RTV, or doesn't it get that hot?

Hi

Its boiler insulation material but I have to confess I can't for the life of me remember where I bought it. I most probably bought it at one of the shows. Most model engineering suppliers stock it. As for the silicon Sandy C suggested the method of fixing it to the boiler, its only a very thin smear and will be well cured by the time I fire up the boiler.

Cheers

Rich

i have been following this build from the start and all i have to say is ............ excellent workmanship and a great tutorial on building a boiler :bow: :bow:
thanks rich

chuck

Looking Great Rich!
When is the first "Steam"?

Dave
:)

Absolutely Amazing!!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Ron

Latest posts

Back