A Simple Fixed Steady

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcheslop

Reaction score
Hi all it has been a long time since I posted any build/tooling threads , I recently had a small machining job that required 60 pins 0.107 dia for a 160 year old automata at 3 inches long with a 3 degree taper on one end
Im not keen on doing this type of work mainly due to lazyightiss and had though just use the standard travelling steady but what a pain it became
So it was time to make a new steady along the lines of the box tool and one I had seen on Myfordboys site
Its simply two bits of alloy tenoned together with an M6 bolt to stop it coming apart. One bit would have been better but its made from what I had
I hope the pics explain what Im trying to describe and that it may be useful to others who may have not seen this type of steady.
The plus and a great one is set up time and that you can use youre dials to bring the first 1/2 inch to size .
It has been well worth the little time and effort it took to make it.
Here is a wee video of poor quality to show it working.Pleas turn youre sound down as it sound very noisy for some reason.The lathe was running at 2700 rpm
https://youtu.be/lT8nKHqRaFE
cheers

PIC_0005.jpg

PIC_0006.jpg

PIC_0009.jpg

PIC_0007.jpg

PIC_0008.jpg

PIC_0004.jpg

Lovely job F.

I have found that little tools like this for a one off job soon become indispensable and you wished you had taken a lot more time and effort in their design and manufacture.

I am sure you will soon be finding all sorts of jobs for it.

John

Hi Frazer,
Nice to see a classic 'fixed bushing steady' again.

After all, these three or four finger things might be OK for big jobs but quite useless for thin whippy work.

I recall that in a bygone age that similar tooling was actually advertised and sold by 'proper tool people'

I had dropped a feed screw today-- and bent it. Need I say more?

Regards

Norm

Thanks John, its already repaid the work in making it and will as you rightly say come in useful
The mandrel back stop on Harold Halls site also made a vast difference as once it was set the parts are easily made to length.
This one if for the ML7R so if anyone should want any sizes simply ask .
I will be thrown out of the Myford posers club for showing a dirty machine well if I hadna already been chucked out:D

Hi Norm, you clumsy beggar:D guess weve all had dropsy at sometime or another
It is indeed an old bit of tooling and a bit like the Jackott not often seen and its a pity as for at least my simple needs they do the job for very little cost
Thanks again
kind regards
frazer

I like your steady a lot. could you tell us about the automata ? They are usually very interesting.

Thanks
Buchanan

Sorry to hear that Norm

Hi Buchanan, sorry Iv no pics for her as Iv only been involved with the pins
All I know is that its a gold mouse and is based on one reputadly made by the same maker as the Bowes Silver Swan that Mark Twain mentions in one of his books.The copy was made in the mid 1800s and the original around 1750
The silver swan and a bit of history
https://youtu.be/A13F4avZZdo
https://youtu.be/g4HEfaqqpHk
kind regards

that is nice looking and does a great job, I have learned so much from you fellows, got a mini lathe and was at a lost to do some small long work but problems solved now, thanks so much, Lathe Nut

Thanks Lathe nut, Its nice to know its of some help to another sufferer:)
Im very happy with its performance especially as it probably didnt take much longer to make than the time I wasted with a standard travelling steady
Not shown in the pics was another bit of brass reamed to the finished dia that fits into a morse tapper in the tailstock to give some support as I made these rods at 13 inches long .At a pinch the tailstock chuck could have been used
kind regards
frazer

Latest posts

Back