A Sidevalve Flat Twin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomlinson

Reaction score
I built this engine a few years ago when I was involved in RC model aircraft flying.
It was not a major power house but was smooth running and very quiet.
I believe it was the first engine that I took a number of construction photos, having just bought my first Digital Camera, a whole 1MP Kodak.

Construction Photos.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6QkfCSsH1D-YXMwNmVYc2VYSTA?usp=sharing

Sidevalve.jpg

Very ,very nice engineering and pictures.
Can You be persuaded to copy Your drawings and show them?
Not a lot of words; just the drawings?
Please?

Hello Niels. Thanks for the comments. Regarding the drawings, as I indicated on an earlier post, (Mills 1.3), The drawings that I have after finishing a project are incomplete and not really good enough to publish.
However, I will have another look at some of them and see if they can be tidied up and made presentable.

Beautiful engine design. +1 on the drawing request. If the current state of the drawings is as shown in the posted photo's that alone would be great.

Cheers Garry

Is lubrication like a two-stroke with a lot of oil mixed with fuel and some of mixture being in crankcase for a while?
If this is the case power can be plussed some.
If the crank has a hole like a two stroke single cylinder, crankcase can be a supercharger.Not very but still some.If the inlet valve train is surrounded by a pipe the distance between crankcase and valveface can be short and direct.
There are someeuropeans making private aircraft engines with sidevalves and the numbers are very good.

http://www.d-motor.eu/nl/home-1.htm

Hello Niels.

The fuel used for this engine was commercial '4 stroke model engine fuel'. It does contain the lubricant but less than Two Stroke fuel.

Unfortunately, when I have completed an engine project and satisfied myself that it runs successfully I tend to lose interest in it and get on with the next.

This particular one was used a number of times in a vintage model aircraft.

Hello Niels.

Unfortunately, when I have completed an engine project and satisfied myself that it runs successfully I tend to lose interest in it and get on with the next.

Hello Tomlinson

Can we enjoy seing what You make now?

Hello Niels.

The engine that I am currently building is another Westbury engine, The Seal Major. It is almost complete and today I started it for the first time.

I ran it for only a few seconds since there was no oil in the sump and no water cooling. I looks promising so I will get on and finish it.

Latest posts

Back