A question regarding Solid State Ignitions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iampappabear

Reaction score
Perhaps I am mistaken but to me electronic ignition modules are a form of amplifier, if that is so, would DC to DC Solid State relays work as an electronic ignition module to fire an ignition coil perhaps with a capacitor similar to a points system. These relays can be purchased for un $20.00 so would be a really economical solution. My electronic knowledge is very very limited and this system looks almost too simple so I am expecting to see lots of reasons why it won't work but how will I know if I don't ask.

Colin

Hello,

I have really no clue what the black box does inside or how they function, When the taiwanese 4-stroke scooter stopped working the friendly elder man sold me this for approx. 20 USD plus another 10USD for "putting it into action". Is this info of any value for you? Maybe you can find out what is inside those devices? Two connectors: supply two pins. Four pin connector to sparkplug and, I guess, a sensor. search for "Kymco ignition module" "sym ignition module"
1656045533992.png
Of course they are only for a single cylinder engine. Unfortunately everything is cast into one epoxy block, so I did never try to have a look inside.
Also quite bulky and heavy, so maybe not good for a small moving model. And occasionally they quit service. :cool:

How expensive are the "uneconomical solutions" you want to avoid? Considering it takes you possibly 20h of your time and another 40$ in parts (provided you do not buy the wrong ones or burn something).

Greetings Timo

Back