A project that I aim to !

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minh-thanh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Hi everybody !
A project that I aim to : Ford-model A 1930
1930-ford-model-a (5).jpg
164486.jpg
164484.jpg

i have just what you need making manifolds at present ignition to go yet

Attachments

• profi6.jpg
    profi6.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 359
  • profi4.jpg
    profi4.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 362
  • profi2.jpg
    profi2.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 372
  • profi9.jpg
    profi9.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 348
  • prpfi 10.jpg
    prpfi 10.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 368
Hi the engineer !
Wow ... It's a really nice engine block
just curious ... did you cast that engine block?
For my project I will make a complete car, just hope I can do it

hi there
no i purchased the castings with no drawings and none availiable i sat down with the original spec sheet for the full size engine and worked to fit with what i had

i made one crank and found the stroke just a little too long so started again this time success
bore 17mm stroke 16mm
if you start and make a mistake dont give up there is most always a way around it may take longer but just carry on

Attachments

• ford block.jpeg
    ford block.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Hi !
Are you still doing this engine?
If so, if possible, please post some pictures.
And Thank you for the image of the engine block !

hello and thanks
yes i am still working on the little ford at the moment i am making the manifolds getting closer to a trial run i will find some more photos of the internals

these are all i have at the moment but if you want i can post the specs that i roughly adhered to when making the internals i would have to double check some of the dimentions as some didnt scale exactly

Attachments

• model a 3.jpg
    model a 3.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 447
  • model a4.jpg
    model a4.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 448
  • model a7.jpg
    model a7.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 447
  • modela8.jpg
    modela8.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 439
hi there
no i purchased the castings with no drawings and none availiable i sat down with the original spec sheet for the full size engine and worked to fit with what i had

i made one crank and found the stroke just a little too long so started again this time success
bore 17mm stroke 16mm
if you start and make a mistake dont give up there is most always a way around it may take longer but just carry on
Thanks for posting a simple motivating message... just when I was considering scrapping a boiler that leaks...
Guddonya!
K2

hi there

bore 17mm stroke 16mm

Hi Engineer!
Congratulations, this is really a wonderful project.
For a long time I was thinking to build a model of For engine like that one but I do not have any idea where to get prints nor castings.
Where did you get the castings?
Are you going to make the drawings available?

Thanks,
Edi

Hi The engineer !
these are all i have at the moment but if you want i can post the specs that i roughly adhered to when making the internals i would have to double check some of the dimentions as some didnt scale exactly
If possible, I only need the size of the engine block, which will help me a lot in my design
model a 3.jpg

Hi E.picler !
Hi Minh Thanh!
Are you going to build a scaled model of the complete car, including engine and transmission?

TKS,
Edi

Yes, I really like the styling of the car
This project will be a real challenge for me !
I downloaded some pictures of the car on the internet
Untitled.jpg

Like The engineer said :
hi there

I will try to finish it !!

Mike Rehmus says the next issues of Model Engine Builder Magazine (#40 and following) will focus on the Model A Ford engine. This is mentioned in the BAEM Club newsletter, CrankCalls. Awhile back, I saw the start of this motor in casting pattern form at one of the BAEM meetings. I believe it was Dwight Giles who was talking about it at that time.

Hi All !
After looking at the informations of engine ... on internet, and with some helpful information from
stevehuckss396 .
stevehuckss396 !

Thank you very much !!
Draw, edit, and draw and edit ..., with lots of draw and edit and results :
Assembly1.jpg
Assembly2.jpg
Assembly3.jpg
Assembly4.jpg

Those are some nice connecting rods. Did you make them out of 932 bearing bronze?
Also, it looks like you are working on an other engine too, a two cylinder. What is it?
Excellent work! nice original looking crankshaft. My father had a 32.
I see you have a hard drive motor , are you thinking of using it on the back of the engine ??

Last edited:
Hi Everybody !
Just a little View attachment 121973
This engine looks like the previous Model "T" engine and transmission. Production of the T ended in 1927. From seeing other photos, there is a coil box, and that was not on a Model A, as a distributor design was introduced, where the high voltage was from a single coil, verses the Model T which had a dedicated vibrating coil for each spark plug. The transmission in this diagram appears to be the planetary design, and not the 3 speed with a single clutch.

sorry for the delay in reply yes those rods are bearing bronze
that block in the photo is a little flat four it drives me nuts its so small i only work on it when im feeling well and up to the paitence level reqired the crank for that is with the block i were playing with the cam grinder to see what results i could get to suit that tiny block had to get narrower wheels and since being back at work not too much more has been done
wasnt happy with the pistons in the ford so have made new ones much better fit and new glasses for better sight helps with these small machining jobs

Back