A Perfect Day

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedge

Reaction score
I broke away from all the demands that were tearing at my attention today. Instead of doing anything productive, in the normal sense, I chose to play hooky.

I walked out the door and drove to my youngest grandson's school and surprised him by springing him before he went to lunch. We then indulged in Mexican cuisine followed by a visit to see the restored Boeing B-17 that was on display at the local airport.

I managed to create a perfect day for a 5 year old boy who already thinks I can do such things on a moments notice. He was allowed to crawl literally all over the old bomber with the exception of the cockpit which was roped off but clearly visible. At 200 svelte pounds (down from 235) the old girl proved herself to have been built for more limber 19 year old frames, but I did manage navigate my old bones through the thing at least once. The kidlett managed to get it through it 3 or 4 times before the crowd got too heavy and the lines stretched out a bit too long for his tastes.

I had fun today and with no guilt what so ever. I might be a crusty old bugger, but today I made another "grandpa memory. " One I hope he takes with him through life. Yup... twas a perfect day today.

Steve

Glad you could, Glad you did, wish I was with you!
Mel

Sounds like a PERFECT day to ME Steve!

Rick

That is wonderful. I didn't get to know either of my grandfathers. One did woodworking, and the other auto restorations.

In fact, the one that did auto restorations had a body shop and he was only open during the night. This was back in the prohibition days, and the moonshiners would take their cars in to him and he would paint them, put in false floors, hidden tanks, and the like while the revenuers were sleeping. I wished I could hear some of the stories!

Post prohibition, he did body work and did some amazing work for the era. He passed away when I was a infant. A lot of knowledge lost, as well as the oppotunity to have him take me from school to go crawl all over a bomber.

Cedge, you need to do that again real soon!

Latest posts

Back