a nice mystery metal find

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedyb

Reaction score
"located" for pocket change, a nice HUNK of 5-1/2 round steel yesterday....about 4 long. and man, is it HEAVY. and no rust on it - even though it has been outside. I dont think its a stainless, hard to say. quite magnetic.
maybe a good grade of a chrome-moly?

would make nice heavy flywheels at the least.

I keep a sample of each material I use that is marked as to type. These samples can be touched to a grinding wheel to see the kind of spark they generate. The mystery metal can then be sparked and the sparks can be compared to the sample metals for identification. Try it once in low light conditions so the sparks can be seen better.

Where I once worked we were visited by the good folks from OSHA, on their inspection they found our heat treat guys booth for spark testing, this was like an old phone booth that had a grinder standing in it and no light. They protested that there had to be a light in the booth so the heat treat man could see what he was doing. Well a light was installed that never needed the light bulb changed.

I like to know what material I am working with and normally will not spend much for mystery metal. Be careful, Dave

Good find Speedy,

I love trips to the recycling center, save lots of money and I never know what I will find.

Regards Gary

You probably have a piece of 400 series stainess steel.

Back