A newbie from Leicestershire

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 48773

Reaction score
Hi, I am recently retired and hoping to finally have time to make better use of my workshop. I have a lathe (Myford ML7) and have just bought an old horizontal mill. As a complete novice to milling I may need some help with that!
Hello and best wishes to everyone.

Welcome Bosworth.
I am a fellow retiree based near Coalville.
You will find the group very helpful and entertaining too. 😁.
Rich

Hello guys, thanks for the welcome.
Rich, I am about 30 minutes away from you - you may get a visit one day!
I am mainly interested in model steam engines (but running on air) but had some experience with model aircraft years ago, but just simple glow plug engines.
I am at the stage where I spend most of my time making 'things for the workshop' plus a lot of chips and sawdust - I have a well equipped woodwork shop - but I don't really know what I want to do for the future.
Once I have have the mill (collecting tomorrow) and I've had a chance to set it up and play with it, I'll need to choose a project - probably a simple stationary engine.
Roger.

Hi Bosworth and welcome , I am just down the road in Nuneaton if you need anything.
Dan.

Roger, I guessed as much with your username being Bosworth. You are most welcome anytime.
I started on Stirling engines then aero engines and just of late to steam.
I usually get sidetracked too making bits for the workshop.
Best of luck with your new hobbies and creating swarf 👍😁
Rich

Rich, the clue is not in the name in this case, as I'm in Earl Shilton. I've used 'Bosworth' on websites for so long I don't remember why anymore...

Dan, thanks, it's good to know there is local help.

K2, once I get sorted out I will no doubt be in contact. I did try recently to make my first wobbler, the 13A plug design, but soon found that my eyesight and trying to make M2 threads doesn't work, so it'll be something a bit larger I think.

I understand. I am part way into making a steam pump - needs a dozen 10BA threads tapping in the main valve block. This could end in tears!
The drilling for the air-servo arranged piston valve are reet confusticating! I already have 1 extra drilling that will need to be blanked-off.
I am collecting all the phos-bronze swarf from machining the castings.... may end up worth more as scrap than a steam pump!
But a good challenge!
Catch you later,
K2

ENjoy that horizontal mill. It can do some things that are, at best , a pain on a vertical. I have Hardinge UM and I have really enjoyed it.

Hi, I am recently retired and hoping to finally have time to make better use of my workshop. I have a lathe (Myford ML7) and have just bought an old horizontal mill. As a complete novice to milling I may need some help with that!
Hello and best wishes to everyone.
Hi Bosworth,

Welcome to the forum from Lutterworth, but I've been retired for a bit longer:)

TerryD

Thanks for the warm welcome from everyone. Seems like we have enough folks to form the East Mids group!

Hello Chris,
from a Loughborough alumnus ('71 -'75)
Hi Terry,
I'm the current Catholic Chaplain to Loughborough University, working out of the Edward Herbert Building. I served my apprenticeship many years ago at SKF in Luton 70-74.
Good to hear from you, and if you want to come and see the current engineering department, please let me know!
Deacon Chris Stevens.

Hi Terry,
I'm the current Catholic Chaplain to Loughborough University, working out of the Edward Herbert Building. I served my apprenticeship many years ago at SKF in Luton 70-74.
Good to hear from you, and if you want to come and see the current engineering department, please let me know!
Deacon Chris Stevens.
Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you and thanks for the offer, I'd love to visit the department at some future time so will be in touch. I serve my apprenticeship in mechanical engineering with a BMC company from '63 to '68, but studied software engineering at what is now the University of Bedfordshire in Luton in '90 to '92 and met my present wife there so I have good memories of the town (especially the 'Brewery Tap' ;)).

I came out of retirement last year to work with Fujitsu testing ballot counting systems in Edinburgh for the upcoming local elections in Scotland, it has been an interesting and educational experience especially with the controversy over the US presidential elaction in the background. I now know how secure these systems are with their checks and balances which is also good engineering practice as you will be aware.

TerryD

Latest posts

Back