A Machinist Who Just Doesn't Know it Yet

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
I got an e-mail from my sister-in-law about a recent incident.
It involved my nephew, wet hands at a swimming hole, a suspicious
container and a pocket knife. The results....
LukesFingers.jpg

It happens far too quickly! With a start like that I'm wondering if he is
preparing to follow his grandfather and I in the machining field where
that is far too common....

Rick :
Wow that had to have Hurt. Safety is something we always have to think about. I do not know if I work real safe or Gods hand of protection is upon me . Both I liked to think. I am in my forties and have never had stitches and only one broken bone in my life. Yes there have been many close calls sometimes more than one in a day. I have had my share of scrapes cuts and bruises. When I worked at the steel fab shop I set my pants on fire with the oxy acetylene cutting torch still have the scar. when I worked in the model shop we would double side tape a rough acrylic blank to an aluminum template and use the trim bit on the router table to finish cut the part . One day the router grabbed the part. I let go and pulled away as fast as I could. I felt the bit hit my fingertip and expected to see a little hamburger on the fingertip. Thank god it only trimmed my fingernail real close. Whew. When I was running the CNC lathe I had just turned around and heard what sounded like the crack of a rifle shot. I turned back to the lathe and the safety glass shield was shattered. Scared the s**t out of me. figuratively. The carbide boring bar had broken and hit the glass. Thank God I have never been to the ER for a work related injury.
I wear prescription safety glasses virtually all my waking hours and wear steel toed boots a lot . I am always on the family for leaving things in walk ways and using stairs for storage shelves. I do my best to think and teach my son to think. Like if the knife slips where will it go? I yell at the wife and son for leaving my chefs knife in the sink with the other dishes.What scares me is the wife is on blood thinners. My wife is always reminding my son to wear his safety glasses when in the shop and operating power tools.
A place I work at as a contractor has the philosophy that all work related injuries are preventable the place is huge probably over a hundred acres and hundreds of employees if you count contractors. there has been 3 injuries this year at the plant and that is considered too many. Be safe.
Tin

Back