A little steam boiler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosey

Reaction score
Gentlemen:
I am building a little Elmer's Wobbler #25 with my grandson and wonder if it is practical and possible to have a small source of steam?? We are going to run on compressed air, but would like to see what it is like to actually generate a little steam. Could we do this with a tea kettle on the stove? Make an adaptor to put over the kettle spout and run a hose to the engine?

There have been steam toys sold for a hundred years with nothing more than a short tube with caps at either end for a boiler. About 6" long, 1 1/2 to 2" dia. Heated by a small tray holding some solid fuel pellets, or a wool filler soaked in alcohol. A modern material might be a Sterno can, like used to keep food trays hot on a buffet line.

They do require a safety valve. A simple spring loaded ball will work well.

There are a couple books published in the UK with plans for simple steam engines and boilers. A recent one was written by Stany Bray. I do not know of any plans on the net.

Mosey : the Simple Model Steam Engines by Stan ray is readily available through amazon dot com and others . It retails for $45 but you should be able to get it to your door for US $30
I posted a rewiew on the book way back when in 2007 IIRC my second post here.

Book Review
Making Simple Model Steam Engines
By Stan Bray
The Crosswood press
ISBN-13: 9781861267733
Suggested retail 19.95 GBP 45.00 USD

A quote from the fly leaf.
“This well illustrated book will be popular with
All would-be model engineers, as well
As those already engages in the hobby, looking for
quick and easy projects to build. The projects are
also ideal for those wishing to pass onto the
next generation a knowledge of metal working
and a grounding of how engines work.”

This book has plans for 10 different engines and five boilers.
It also has plans for the little accessories an fittings that make these
projects work .there are plans for throttles , pressure relief valves
and reversing valves. There is also a plan for a water pump.
The projects are designed for the folks with a minimal or small shop.
A small lathe ,hand tools and the ability to solder or silver solder
is all that is needed.
The plans are drawn in duplicate in most cases giving metric as well as imperial measurements so it is written for a wide audience. Us Americans will have to translate some of the words and phrases and the screw sizes are mostly given in metric and BA sizes. .For example we say hardware store instead of Ironmonger. The author does give UNC sizes in some cases but not all. This book is very well illustrated and covers the basics of oscillator or wobbler engine building as well as boiler basics. All in all this is a worth while book to add to the library of anyone interested in model engine building. This may be redundant for those of you that have the Tubal Cain books of similar title. Mr. Cain in my opinion has a better eye for design aesthetics or form. In contrast this book has a better size and the illustrations are much easier to read. Also Mr. Brays book does not require any castings. No affiliation or endorsement. This is written for informational Purposes.
Regards Tin Falcon
Here is a link to order for under $30 and it is listed as in stock.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4196452

PS I checked the wallyworld link where I purchased my book in 2007 the link is still good but the price is a Lille higher a bit above $30 so shop around they are readily available
Tin

Ready, fire, aim! My usual haste to get to it!
Yup, there it is.
Thanks to Tin And MK all for the leads.

Back