A little ID help here please.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reelmanmi

Reaction score
Hello all, newbie here.

I've been cleaning out the father in laws shop/shed and came across these parts and would enjoy some help in knowing what I have.
I don't even know if they are all from the same project. I have stacks of Live Steam, ModelTec and Home Shop Machinist mags from the '80 & '90's to get a lead from, but any manuals for said parts sustained irreperable water damage after the tree fell on the shed...that'll do it!

If I can pull it off I'd like to complete what ever the FIL was working on. Of course I still have the logistical challenge of getting his 1935 South Bend 9? across the lawn and on to my trailer...?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Y 0056 is stamped on the engine casting boss - writing above boss is illegible.
Shaft on axles is 5/8

Thanks from Sacramento
Model 1-2.jpg
Model 2 - 2 E-ngine.jpg
Model 3 - 2 Axles.jpg
Model 4 - 2.jpg
Model 1-2.jpg

The axles with flange wheels look like they are live steam RR car wheel sets for 4 3/4" sized railroad trucks, which is around 1" to the foot scale. The 4 3/4" would be the gauge between the rails.

One set appears to have the journal bearing turned on the end of the axle, the other three do not. Three sets of wheels do not appear to be turned to final dimension, because of the roughness of the flange running surface. The set with the axle turned might have been turned, they have a thinner flange and smoother surface with no casting roughness to them.

clif

edit, the wheels are probably cast iron, the axles carbon steel.

The dog bone things seem to be castings for a "Universal Pillar tool" or similar?
e.g. this ones

https://www.martinmodel.com/collect...s/products/universal-pillar-tool-standard-set
http://www.hemingwaykits.com/cgi-bi...versal_Pillar_Tool.html#aHK_201260#aHK_201260
The book with instructions can still be bought.
  • Publisher ‏ : ‎ Model & Allied Publications; First edition (January 1, 1982)
  • Language ‏ : ‎ English
  • ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 0852427859
  • ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-0852427859
Thanks for the response Timo_gross, I agree. I'm wondering how many projects the ol' boy had going. I'll keep digging. Thanks for giving me a place to start.

The axles with flange wheels look like they are live steam RR car wheel sets for 4 3/4" sized railroad trucks, which is around 1" to the foot scale. The 4 3/4" would be the gauge between the rails.

One set appears to have the journal bearing turned on the end of the axle, the other three do not. Three sets of wheels do not appear to be turned to final dimension, because of the roughness of the flange running surface. The set with the axle turned might have been turned, they have a thinner flange and smoother surface with no casting roughness to them.

clif

edit, the wheels are probably cast iron, the axles carbon steel.
Thanks for the info, clif. I believe you are correct on all counts. I put a tape to the inside of the wheels today and they're right @ 4 1/2 so they'd drop right on 4 3/4 rails. I also think I remember seeing a book in one of the boxes with the 4 3/4 track on the cover. I'll get my hands on it again and maybe it'll shine a light on some of this. Do the 3 "dog bone" pieces have a place on a car? I have another reply with pics that sure looks promising as well. Thanks again for the help.

Thanks for the response Timo_gross, I agree. I'm wondering how many projects the ol' boy had going. I'll keep digging. Thanks for giving me a place to start.
Timo_gross, you are todays' big winner. I found this article in the FiLs' library proving you were spot on in your assessment. Thank you Sir for the assist.

Attachments

• Pillartool 2.jpg
    Pillartool 2.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 3
  • Pillartool.jpg
    Pillartool.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 1
Back