A gert big radial

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At some point in 2013, it occurred to me to build a radial engine. The decision was inspired by the engines on two Stearman biplanes which are resident at the airfeld where I keep my microlight.
So, I started considering how I would make the major parts and what the aim of the engine was to be.
While I have no objection to 'display' engines, that would not satisfy me. My engine had to have a purpose. I fly model aircraft, but not with the skill to warrant sending many hundereds of hours work into the sky at the risk of destroying it at first go. Certification requirement precluded making a radial for my microlight, so the application would have to be ground based.
Another of my passions is motorcycles. I have seen bikes built around the Australian Rotec radials, but they are frankly ridiculous.
I came to the conclusion that I should build a manageable size engine of 50 to 100 BHP and think about the specific application later.
I elected to design my engine around easily available, low cost motorcycle cylinder heads and barrels, with the option to produce my own heads at a later date. I selected Dnepr parts for their simplicity and layout appropriate to a radial.
The engine was designed in CAD and spreadsheets created to calculate stress in critical areas (con rods, bearings, valve train). Other parts were simply over-engineered, leaving many opportunities for future mass reduction.
The resulting design is 2.3 litres, weighs 120kg and is expected to produce upwards of 80BHP at 3500 rpm.
Then there's a supercharger...
The blower is a bit of a shot in the dark. It started with the realisation that the single carb setup creates a lot of 'dead' space between the carb and the intake valves, which will be a problem with fuel falling out of suspension at low rpm and when starting. To address this issue, I first drew up a simple 'stirrer' which would keep the induction mixture moving. The stirrer soon evolved into an impeller and gained a 2 speed drive from the crank.
2018-12-15 11.39.41.jpg
All the major parts are done. I'm now working on details of the lubrication, ignition and exhaust systems. First run might be this year. Or it might not.
I now have an application designed specifically for this engine. It is for a road going vehicle, but it's not a bike and the engine will assume pride of place. More of that another time.

At some point in 2013, it occurred to me to build a radial engine. The decision was inspired by the engines on two Stearman biplanes which are resident at the airfeld where I keep my microlight.
So, I started considering how I would make the major parts and what the aim of the engine was to be.
While I have no objection to 'display' engines, that would not satisfy me. My engine had to have a purpose. I fly model aircraft, but not with the skill to warrant sending many hundereds of hours work into the sky at the risk of destroying it at first go. Certification requirement precluded making a radial for my microlight, so the application would have to be ground based.
Another of my passions is motorcycles. I have seen bikes built around the Australian Rotec radials, but they are frankly ridiculous.
I came to the conclusion that I should build a manageable size engine of 50 to 100 BHP and think about the specific application later.
I elected to design my engine around easily available, low cost motorcycle cylinder heads and barrels, with the option to produce my own heads at a later date. I selected Dnepr parts for their simplicity and layout appropriate to a radial.
The engine was designed in CAD and spreadsheets created to calculate stress in critical areas (con rods, bearings, valve train). Other parts were simply over-engineered, leaving many opportunities for future mass reduction.
The resulting design is 2.3 litres, weighs 120kg and is expected to produce upwards of 80BHP at 3500 rpm.
Then there's a supercharger...
The blower is a bit of a shot in the dark. It started with the realisation that the single carb setup creates a lot of 'dead' space between the carb and the intake valves, which will be a problem with fuel falling out of suspension at low rpm and when starting. To address this issue, I first drew up a simple 'stirrer' which would keep the induction mixture moving. The stirrer soon evolved into an impeller and gained a 2 speed drive from the crank.
View attachment 113405
All the major parts are done. I'm now working on details of the lubrication, ignition and exhaust systems. First run might be this year. Or it might not.
I now have an application designed specifically for this engine. It is for a road going vehicle, but it's not a bike and the engine will assume pride of place. More of that another time.
I’m a brand new member here so please bear with me. I’m interested in model radial engines. I saw someting on the internet that directed me here. So if I’m in the wrong place help direct me

Hello Bentwings and welcome,

This is a good site to find radial engines and their builders. There is plenty of activity here and the members are helpful.
Use the 'Search Forums' facility to find radial engine build topics.

Hi Pete

A Radial Engine on a microlight now that would be a sight (and sound) but as you say getting CAA certification on it would near impossible nowadays (and scary expensive).

2.3 Litre supercharged producing 80+ BHP that is really is "a gert big un" you are going to have some fun keeping it cool in a ground based setup

Best Regards Mark

Hi Mark,
Since I started the build, the microlight application has become more of a practical possibility. There is now a category called SSDR (single seat deregulated) which allows aircraft with a max take off weight of 300kg to be built and flown without CAA certification or permit to fly. The engine would realistically need 60HP and weight of less than 60kg.

The cylinders and heads are from a twin cylinder motorcycle engine which produced 36HP (18 HP per cylinder).
18 x 7 gives 126 HP, so I am being quite conservative with my estimates and cooling should be similar to the motorcycle application.

Best, Pete.

Hi Mark,
Since I started the build, the microlight application has become more of a practical possibility. There is now a category called SSDR (single seat deregulated) which allows aircraft with a max take off weight of 300kg to be built and flown without CAA certification or permit to fly. The engine would realistically need 60HP and weight of less than 60kg.

The cylinders and heads are from a twin cylinder motorcycle engine which produced 36HP (18 HP per cylinder).
18 x 7 gives 126 HP, so I am being quite conservative with my estimates and cooling should be similar to the motorcycle application.

Best, Pete.
there is a local group of guys that fly full size at6 war birds
I know the leader . He told me they fly about 52 events per year. Plus they do their practice formation flying. There is a guy that flies a T28 occasionally with them. It has a much throated sound. Still not R2800 bower.

Latest posts

Back