A Gas Turbine (MW 54)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomlinson

Reaction score
Building this engine was a challenge. I have been fascinated to read articles on the design and construction of miniature gas turbines and considered the task too difficult.

When the drawings for this engine became available, I took the plunge and bought the drawings and the rather expensive essential castings, and had a go.

The whole experience was interesting and I had almost as much enjoyment from making the necessary tools and ancillaries ( Spot welder, Instrumentation, Fuel pump, Hole punch etc) as the engine itself.

The engine runs fine, but I didn't go the whole way and fit a self starter. I have admiration for these guys who can use a mini computer to control their engines, I think it is a bit late in the day to get my head round programming these amazing bits of technology.

Construction photos.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6QkfCSsH1D-SlNIeWxEdjhndDQ?usp=sharing

Turbine Test Bed.JPG

Blighty. Unfortunately, This is one engine that I have never tried to video when it is running. I don't run it very often.
It is one engine that I don't have on view at home, there's not much to look at.

Blighty. Unfortunately, This is one engine that I have never tried to video when it is running. I don't run it very often.
It is one engine that I don't have on view at home, there's not much to look at.

i know what you mean. all that work and its all hidden in side a bean can. then when you film it the only way you know its running is the deafening noise that's coming from it.

Latest posts

Back