A fully adjustable toolpost for the Unimat 3

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariolucchini

Reaction score
In a distraction moment from the making of the miniature lathe, I was browsing through some old Model Engineers issues when I found a toolpost design which I couldn't resist :big:.....here's the story......

Needed a chunk of brass and I found some old brass padlocks in my scrap box.....needless to say, judicious flycutting long minutes after I produced the toolpost body....

P2020010.jpg

P2020009.jpg

P2020008.jpg

P2020007.jpg

P2020006.jpg

The pillar...............

P2020004.jpg

P2020005.jpg

The height regulating screw......note the acrylic pad in the screw's point, this is to avoid scratching the pillar's base when you rotate the toolpost's body at a fixed height.......

P2020013.jpg

P2020015.jpg

P2020014.jpg

P2020016.jpg

The body's locking lever to the pillar....

P2020012.jpg

The pillar locking lever to the lathe's cross slide....also the special washer & the "T" nut....

P2020011.jpg

All the bits & pieces....

P2020002.jpg

P2020001.jpg

The assembled toolpost....
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

In a next post I'll show the toolpost doing its thing................. :eek:

Cheers...........

Mario

That is some awesome work Mario!! :bow:

Looking forward to seeing it on the lathe and in action!!!

Andrew

Very nice indeed!, but... there is one thing puzzling me - what is the black thing? (red arrow pointing):
P2020008.jpg

thanks Chris

I think it may just be a part of the padlock that sacrificed it's life to become am amazing toolpost!

Andrew

Almost too pretty to use and get full of swarf and oil. john

Hi,
congratulations for the clever use of recycled padlock !
I also have an unimat (the older model, SL) and some salvaged brass padlocks
so I will have a go with a toolpost copied from your.
the pictures show differently colored brass parts, and the way you cut through the padlock is not clear for me, can you help me on this point ?
Zephyrin

The toolpost mounted on the cross slide and doing its thing.............. ::)

h.jpg

e.jpg

g.jpg

h.jpg

d.jpg

c.jpg

Closeup showing the perfect center height of the cutting tool you can achieve......no pips at all!......... :big:

b.jpg

a.jpg

Besides, you can have infinite horizontal positions of the cutting tool without losing its height.....

I'm happy!..... :D

Cheers again....

Mario

bambuko said:
Very nice indeed!, but... there is one thing puzzling me - what is the black thing? (red arrow pointing):
P2020008.jpg

thanks Chris

That's a red sealing wax filler I used to hide an ugly indentation of the padlock...... ::)

Mario

Gedeon Spilett said:
Hi,
congratulations for the clever use of recycled padlock !
I also have an unimat (the older model, SL) and some salvaged brass padlocks
so I will have a go with a toolpost copied from your.
the pictures show differently colored brass parts, and the way you cut through the padlock is not clear for me, can you help me on this point ?
Zephyrin

Hy Zephyrin!...........Indeed there are 2 different colors of the metal, I used 2 different old padlocks and it seems they were made out of different brass alloys.....

If you look carefully at my pics, you'll also see a brass bar filler I used to fill one of the padlocks holes....

As for the padlock cutting, I used a hand held hacksaw for cutting and a flycutter to rectify the faces....

Thanks for looking....

Mario

That is fantastic.

How solid is it in use? Does the brass work out well, or would steel make a difference? Looks like it should be strong enough. Sure beats messing with the rocker in my sherline toolpost.

mariolucchini said:
The toolpost mounted on the cross slide and doing its thing.............. ::)

h.jpg

Besides, you can have infinite horizontal positions of the cutting tool without losing its height.....

I'm happy!..... :D

Cheers again....

Mario

Hi Mario.
I know this topic is old but I have a Unimat 3 and I am very interested in the modifications I can see on your's.

Could you explain or post some more photos (belt drive, digital readout, fine cross slide control and an others.)

Thanks

Back