a few pics from my sand and projects.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xlchainsaw

Reaction score
home casting is my favorite hobby. it now allows me to make things i never thought possible 35 yrs ago! just some early pics of casting and my quality is improving with every pour. ive nearly reached the 350 kg mark. each time i melt. i melt in 1 kg lots but have now upgraded to 3 kg melts. ive been doing 5 to ten melts a week for nearly a yr now. most of my early castings have been remelted.

this recently turned into this!
mystery.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

IMG_1886.jpg

some early castings

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

Very Nice. :bow: :bow:

Casting is on my "Roundtoit" list but a fair way down.

Best Regards
Bob

thanks bob. its taken nearly a yr of trial and error to reach the standard that im at. being semi retired helps! :)

Looks good!

Did you make the horse patterns? Could you post a pic of your furnace?

Thanks.

Kevin

thanks kevin . yes and no to the horse pattern. firstly i had an old horse i pulled to peices then i added draft with putty and cast it. after i had my casting i engraved detail .then i use it for a pattern. most small patterns can be obtained with this method. use an object and gain a very rough casting from it. then put hours into grinding and filing till you have a neat pattern that will work in the sand. then you can make as many as you like.my furnace is just a converted gas bottle, nothing flash to look at and my crucibles are just steel pipe and my burner is made from old welding gear and a gas bbq. nothing flash here. my furnace isnt even lined but im melting brass regularly :)
IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

burnertorch.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

Back