A concept about single point threading

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thingibob,

The strain of a sudden stop must have a part to play in longevity.

If you thought that way about every facility or part on a machine, you would never make anything, you would be too scared to turn it on. It is like saying you shouldn't turn the feed handles because the lead nuts will wear, or you shouldn't wind the tailstock in and out as it will wear the ram.

If it is on the machine, it is there for use. It is a foot brake for stopping the spindle, not an emergency brake. It is no different to the strain put on the machine when you turn the spindle on. So I use it.

If it wears the machine out a couple more years earlier than the machine should last, it won't be my worry. Or if it breaks down before I snuff it, I will repair it.

Machines are there to be used to the full, not looked at and admired.

Blogs

Good thread John, when I manage to get back into my tiny man cave that will be high on the "to do" list ;)

As for the stop start, I have to agree ........... my lathe is an old Three Phase Boxford, but with the inverter I have variable speed plus instant stop (if I want) ...... I choose a slight delay on the stop generally but if you undercut the end of the thread you generate a small "safe zone" ....... so I don't see a problem, with most lathes.

Dam fine tool lads :bow: and much respect to Mike Cox, who came up with the original concept I understand, and also thanks to John and all who contributed to the evolved Mk (whatever) version ......... top class work guys.

CC

Blogwitch said:
Thingibob,

If you thought that way about every facility or part on a machine, you would never make anything, you would be too scared to turn it on. It is like saying you shouldn't turn the feed handles because the lead nuts will wear, or you shouldn't wind the tailstock in and out as it will wear the ram.

If it is on the machine, it is there for use. It is a foot brake for stopping the spindle, not an emergency brake. It is no different to the strain put on the machine when you turn the spindle on. So I use it.

If it wears the machine out a couple more years earlier than the machine should last, it won't be my worry. Or if it breaks down before I snuff it, I will repair it.

Machines are there to be used to the full, not looked at and admired.

Blogs

Pleased to see we agree, certainly handy for threading ;D

It's on my list to make one of these days.. I just have to design one to fit the nifty threading bar I have.

Latest posts

Back