A cheap toolpost grinder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's some pictures of my Bosch electric die grinder mounted on the tool post. I set height by eye depending on the what I am doing. It is at least 30 years old and has a fixed speed of 27,000 r.p.m. Biggest wheel I have used is a 3" mounted point. I think 1.5" is the recommended maximum. The el cheapo's you can pick up in boxes of assorted up to about 1" diameter are no problem at this speed.
Mount was made from a piece of heavy wall pipe, the offset taper was to provide clearance. I keep meaning to make something like a Versa-mill but never seem to get around to it.

Attachments

• HPIM0146.JPG
    HPIM0146.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 352
  • HPIM0147.JPG
    HPIM0147.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 347
  • HPIM0148.JPG
    HPIM0148.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 328
  • HPIM0149.JPG
    HPIM0149.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 326
  • HPIM0193.JPG
    HPIM0193.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 340
  • HPIM0194.JPG
    HPIM0194.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 290
P.S. That Brown all over the lathe is not rust it is dried grapeseed oil. All shiny underneath. The swath is just because whem I took the photos I was in the middle of several jobs.

Hi to all!
I also adapted a router spindle on the cross slid of the lathe. It is a small and sheap spindle, runs about 12000 rpm and fits well my small lathe (300mm btween centers).
I only had to provide a shim to set the rigth center hight. First job was grinding the cylinder liners for the small 4 inline engine I building
The photos bellow better explains how I did it
DSCN2755.JPG

DSCN2757.JPG

DSCN2761.JPG

DSCN2762.JPG
DSCN2784.JPG

DSCN2787.JPG
DSCN27761.jpg

The aluminum holder and the RPM controller came with the spindle as a kit. I still need to fit the controller in a box.
The spindle has ER11 collet, I will change that to ER20 or ER16.

I hope it helps those wanting to do similar thing.

Thanks,
Edi

I like a shop that is a not pristine and super clean. I have not considered a barrier coat like cosmoline for exposed metal surfaces as my shop is dry and I don't hold back on applying oil to everything. Hence my messy machines.

I'd almost forgotten until I got bored at meeting tonight and looked at the ceiling in the smaller room . I'd forgotten that I'd done much of the research and maths for acoustic ceiling tiles.

Then I recalled that we, in addition, had precision ground rubber rollers .

It was a changed from 'bean counting'

N

sorry, I may be losing my marbles but I'm not catching the relevance of this post to the theme of the thread.

Last edited:
Hi Anatol,
The Grapeseed oil was painted on all the exposed bright surfaces that aren't sliding surfaces, it oxidises into a tough film. I was using a soluble oil as cutting fluid but got sick of having to spend so much time cleaning after use as I often stop in the wee hours and might not get back to lathe things for a few days to a week. Despite supposingly having anti-rust additives I still found rust starting in odd areas. It was paint or another protective coating and I have Grapeseed oil in the kitchen. I have a few major costs at the moment but then will change to a proper cutting oil for the lathe, mill and bandsaw.

Back