A Blast from the Past

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I had lost my 3D cad files of the Webster engine due to a computer crash, so last night I went thru about 100 old CD Roms hoping I had saved it to a disc. I never found it, but I did find a disc with all of the files to a radial engine I had built about 10 years ago. This is an amazing little engine which runs on compressed air, and is fun to build and to run. I am attaching a picture of the cad file I found last night, and a free download link to the drawings.--Have fun.---Brian
http://www.mediafire.com/file/uzhvza0ywmn/Brians_Radial_Engine.zip/file
P7t8sl.jpg

Sir,
This is really bad that your computer crashed and you lost access to your files. This is truly a loss for you, but in a way for the many people that have watched over the years your building of these creative and interesting model engines. Hence, I don’t want to tell you what to do but suggest only some ideas from my experience.
Please do not discard the currently installed hard drive. It is highly likely the files are not corrupted but that addresses to access these files have been scrambled so that Windows cannot find the files. A PC-computer guru could apply his talent and software to gain access to your files on your corrupted hard drive. These people exist but they’re little hard to find in my experience. I called around and found such a guy in the IT department to a local university. He made a house call and got me out of a big pickle . . . he recovered my files! You could avoid the cost of a house call if you removed the hard drive yourself and delivered it to the techer (Remove AC plug form computer power supply and wait until LED on power supply is off; it takes a while for capacitor to fully discharge. Remove two connectors form rear of hard drive and the mounting screws and you’re off.).
As an aside, you might consider replacing your current disc-hard drive with a solid state drive (SSD). The capacity of these units has greatly increased and the cost has come way down, e.g., Samsung SSDs. Such a unit in my seven-year-old computer made it like a new machine when the operating system and application softwares where installed on this drive.

Enginville--When My computer drive was getting dangerously full last year, I deleted a lot of files trying to free up drive space. Finally I took the computer in to a shop and had the entire hard drive replaced with a much, much larger hard drive. I may have inadvertently deleted the Webster engine myself.

I based my Webster solid models on the original drawings that were a free download many years ago. I built my Webster many years ago and still have it. I don't need the Webster 3D cad files unless somebody asks a question about a drawing form the original work like Werowance did. It only takes me a minute or two to make a new solid model of a part and post a drawing of it.---Brian

Brian, thank you so much for taking the time to look for those Webster drawings for me and then even taking the time to redraw them. you are a life saver and I really appreciate the time you took just to help me.

That's a very nice looking radial, Brian. I bet little kids would delight in seeing it blow bubbles, too.

My granddaughter is a thousand miles away or I'd build one to have ready for the next visit!

Latest posts

Back