A belated "Hi"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the picture, Tin!

It's wonderful to see that "Mrs. Falcon" not only approves of, but participates in your avocation. I get the impression that model engine building is, sadly, more often a detriment than an enhancer of husban-wife relationships -- generally tolerated, but seldom encouraged. It is like any other passion, I suppose. If allowed free reign, it will tend to crowd out competing activities and obligations.

Metal Micky: (Don't worry, we are all sexist to some degree -- it's just not politically correct to acknowledge it ;)) Thanks for the Cherry Hill (Hinds) pictures. For some reason, I'm not able to view the first image... ???

Paula

Paula, you bring a very unique perspective to the board. Unfortunately it is a fact. I really don't understand why more women haven't embraced woodworking, metal working, or the other predominantly male hobbies. There's really nothing about these hobbies that gender would disqualify one from. I guess it isn't a feminine activity and society says that women can't get dirty. It is simply a load of bologna. Heck, the women of this country took over the industrial manufacturing during the second world war! Rant off, I know I am preaching to the choir!!

Mrs. Wareagle has not joined my in my hobby to date, but she has an open invitation. It is likely due to her thinking that she might not excel at it. I would gladly teach her everything I know and help her gain skills and confidence in this or any other hobby that I enjoy (Lord knows I have plenty of them!). When our son gets a little older, my bet is she will get involved some and this will hopefully become a family affair. Maybe I am in the minority... I like hanging out with my spouse! I am not pushing it on her and if she chooses not to participate, then that is okay.

However, even though she doesn't understand the hobby and doesn't choose to participate, she is very supportive of it and does encourage me to pursue it. The only time she has any issues is when I buy something that is expensive, I get the rolled eyeball every now and then. Beyond then, she has never said anything cross about it. In fact, I think she embraces it from the stand point that I don't spend my weekends at the golf course, or any other activity that would take me away from home (not that there's anything wrong with those activities) for long periods of time.

Gender doesn't matter. Anyone and everyone is capable of participating in this hobby to some level or another. It may not be glamorous for the ladies, but that doesn't mean that it isn't rewarding. One can get a great deal of satisfaction from taking a raw material and making something from it. All of this to say, I am glad you are here. Maybe this will be the encouragement for some of the women to give it a try. If not this, then maybe another of the male dominated hobbies!!

Best regards,
W/E

Well said Wareagle and Paula, good luck! I may use you to show my good lady...but I have my doubts she will be interested.....but I will try........again...... ;D

It's about time!

Welcome aboard, Paula. I saw your work on another thread and am quite impressed with your talents. I go more the other way, crackpot ideas expressed in metal, wood and plastic - engines and other machines designed with a heavy Rube Goldberg meets Monty Python bent. One of these days, I'll be able to post pics but ... well, problems have prevented any such activity for a while.

In any case, it's wonderful to see another lady here to keep some of these guys in line ... although in a few cases, that may be impossible. That escapee from the Home for the Terminally Weird in Hawaii is a prime example.

BEst regards,

Kludge

wareagle said:
I really don't understand why more women haven't embraced woodworking, metal working, or the other predominantly male hobbies. There's really nothing about these hobbies that gender would disqualify one from. I guess it isn't a feminine activity, and society says that women can't get dirty.

Thankfully, this seems to be slowly changing. Gender roles are much less narrowly defined these days. I do remember feeling like something of an oddball (still do... sometimes) for bucking the stereotypes, but I also recall that my passion was such that I wasn't going to be dissuaded from pursuing it full force.

It was actually my older brother who first awakened my interest... <cue dreamy harp music and blurry images> One day he brought home a book from the school library: "The Boy's [sic] First Book of Engines, Motors, and Turbines," by Alfred Morgan, and mused how he might like to try building the small steam engine detailed in chapter twenty-two. He showed me the page, and I remember thinking how neat that would be to be able to turn a few hunks of metal into this marvelous working contraption! I looked forward to following his progress. Alas, he soon lost interest in the project (about the time that the book was due back at the library :-\). I forgot about it, too, untill several years later when I came across the same book in the library, and felt compelled to check it out for myself. After several more checkings-out of the book, I convinced myself that I could tackle the steam engine project. I wasn't sure exactly how I would accomplish it, with only the few crude tools in Dad's toolbox, but I was determined to try. Here is a picture of the little steam engine, from a copy of Morgan's book which I found on eBay (copyright 1946):

MORGAN.jpg

The tools I had at my disposal were: an ancient electric drill, a hacksaw (missing blade), several dull files, a huge (but dull) pair of tin snips, a soldering iron, plus a few assorted other common tools. The instructions specified a brass pipe nipple to make the cylinder, and for the life of me, I couldn't locate one. I wound up using a galvanized one, and had a devil of a time trying to solder the "cylinder head" in place. I also couldn't find sufficiently thick material to make the flywheel, so I cut several disks of galvanized sheet metal (the kind used for heating ducts), and soldered the edges together. Excuse me.. I can't go on... it's too painful. :(

Long story short, I got the engine built, but it never did run. It was a hair-raising thing, quite unworkmanlike in appearance, and was unceremoniously relegated to the trash heap at some point beyond my rememberance. (Had I known then how far I would progress, I would have hung onto that homely thing.) But it was a start. It was a number of years before I attempted another one -- a "wobbler" made from brass telescoping square tubing, per an article in Popular Mechanics. This one worked! Needless to say, I progressed from that point to now. The thing I've learned is that the only firm quality required for success in this area (as in most others) is passion. From passion follows determination, and the acquiring of skill and patience.

Oh, by the way... I just received the latest issue of "Gas Engine Magazine", and there is an article about two young women, Sarah and Bethanie Riffle (ages 20 and 18), who are quite active in the gas engine hobby. Both have acquired, and work on, their own engines! See? There is hope for us... ;D

Cheers,
Paula

Paula

With determination like that building your first engine with that list of tools you definitely deserve a gold star. Its no wonder that your engine building is successful. A lot of people couldn't build it with a fully equipped machine shop. Keep up the good work.

Cheers :)

Don

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Paula, you've put a number of us to shame. You do know that, right?

While GEM seems to be oriented toward older engines (hence no interest in modifying Ryobi 2 and 4-stroke lawn trimmer engines), I am seriously tempted to subscribe just to see what those young ladies are up to. For some reason, I keep getting visions of Kaylee from "Firefly" (TV) & "Serenity" (movie) which would be ubercool.

In the meantime, I can't wait to see your next project!

BEst regards,

Kludge

Thanks, Kludge. You know, Gas Engine Magazine also has a regular feature called "Modeler's Corner", which is nice for the modelmaker interested in vintage I.C. engines.

Paula

Paula said:
Thanks, Kludge.

My pleasure.

You know, Gas Engine Magazine also has a regular feature called "Modeler's Corner", which is nice for the modelmaker interested in vintage I.C. engines.

While the Ryobis are significantly more current and I'm looking at increasing power as much as possible without breaking something important, I was surrounded by old oil wells where I grew up, some powered with steam, some hit 'n miss, some 1-lung Diesel and one or two spark ignition engines that ran on I don't know what fuel. (The night air was a lovely symphony of sound from those wells ... with the occasional startled cow or chicken chiming in.) Modeling one of them, if I can do so from some rather long-sleeping memories, might be fun.

Best regards,

Kludge ... who is in total awe of your talents

My 88-year old grandfather finally got around to building that steam engine just a few months ago. Not sure how long he had those plans. It turned out to be a nice little engine.

IMG_1859.jpg

Latest posts

Back