A 240 year old doll that can write

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Words fail me for the most exquisite piece of mechanical art I have ever seen! :eek:

I still can't even to begin to fathom a mind to create something one tenth as incredible!

Still shaking my head in disbelief,
John.

Last edited:
That guy was a mechanical genius, absolutly amazing and all that without the high technology that we have at our disposal. I'm sure this will make quite a few of us here feel very inadequate, makes me feel like someone that just butchers metal and wood LOL.

Totally awesome. Thanks for sharing.

You should see their automaton bird for the toubillion watch they have....kick ass

High skilled nice work to create a lot of cam disc to make each letter to write on paper. :)

Imagine the calculations involved and all the working out of which disc goes when and when to trip which lever and how many degrees does it have to move and which disk requires to be turned by how much and when. Just thinking about it is doing my head in :wall: LOL
Now that takes dedication.

The large disc has difference heights of cams for each letter and other operation such as dipping the pen in ink cup and moving the paper. It need 3 disc for each operation to example 1 disc for lift/lower the pen, 2 disc for each letter. The mechanical writing machine is programmable to change the letter on the large disc. We did same with the earlier mechanical "CNC" lathe in old days, really true? :)

What can I say? It is both mechanically and artistically beautiful. I wonder if he created as many scrap parts when building it as I do when building an engine.

Jim

Hey Jim, maybe that are all the scrap parts that he had and used from other projects LOL, I have seen a lot of people that make amazing things from scrap and some of them become the best inventions, look at Henry Ford's 1st engine and here we are looking around for scrap so we can copy it. Us model engineers are a weird lot, we love living in the past and re-inventing or copying the wheel, or are we just nostalgic.

Look up the movie called "Hugo", there is an automaton featured in it. Good movie, I think it won some awards.

The other doll can draw a dog!! :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8u93VQfHmw[/ame]

that is stunning the most interesting automaton I've seen

Tom

Wow! Amazing and inventive! So impressive and even a little creepy!

Latest posts

Back