9x19 CNC Conversion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mach 3 has great wizards to cut different shapes. Used one to cut the DB9 plug in holes in the stepper connection boxes.
003-25.jpg

002-24.jpg

And here ya have it.

VIDEO^

On to the A3 and my prosthetic parts now.

Matt

Gday Matt,

Looking good, Its a great feeling when things go to plan. Are the ball screws you are using Thompson ones? I have the Thompson ones on my SX3 cnc conversion, mine sound crunchy when moved even when they were new, The guy I purchased the kit from told me they would settle down after a while but they never did. How do the ones you are using run?

Barry.

The ballnuts are Thompson. Don't know bout the screws. They were only $10 per foot. My mill kit I got from CNC Fusion, and are like glass compared to these. But they where $100 a piece. I probably upgrade later on when I redo the mounts and things. Just wanted to get it up and running so I could start learning the ins and outs of CNC turning. Will work on the bugs and design flaws as time and funds allow.

Don't get me wrong though, I love this machine now! Its just going to get better.

Matt

Hi Matt,
I purchased my mill kit from the same place as you, I have a feeling that my ball nuts were loaded wrong by CNC Fusion, seems to run ok just a bit noisy.
I agree the fine tuning part of a build takes a lot of trial and error.
Looking good anyway mate, All the best.

Barry. ;)

Hi Matt,

I have an Enco 9X20 that I thought I was going to sell. But after looking at your CNC conversion ... maybe not.
Also I see that you have installed a 5c chuck. Wow ... very impressive! :)

Who makes the chuck and how did you install?

The CNC conversion ... any more details? Maybe a thread or other drawings? What about the electronics ...?

If I could convert mine and add the 5c chuck I would have a real good second lathe. The A3 has parts the could be CNCed. The 5c chuck would make some parts easier to make and much better than using a 3 or 4 jaw chuck.

Thanks,

Pat H.

Pat here is where I got the 5c chuck.
http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php
They have it on sale now for $139. I also got their 72 piece collet set there too.

LMS is where I got the M39x4 chuck back plate for the 9x19.
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1922

This is the kit I wanted to buy for the lathe.
http://www.thompsonmachine.net/9x20kit.htm

But no one there would return my emails after several trys. I decided to do my own. There is plenty of pics on there site to figure it out.

I used the same electronics as my SX3 mill uses, I just switch back and forth. Here is the build on that.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=8447.120

This is the thread on a dro set-up i did for that lathe
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=7354.0

This is the main reason for the CNC.
A wrist I'm working on for my prosthetic arm.

003-26.jpg

001-35.jpg

002-26.jpg

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for the links.

I see the TIR for the 5c chuck is given at .0004". Is that what you got and does it repeat when you R&R the chuck?

Your prosthetic arm looks great ... very professional. I assume it was machined using the CNC lathe and Mill?

Thanks again,

Pat H.

I get anywhere from .0006 to .001 being I'm not currently working on any NASA projects, I'm happy with that. I took too much off the mounting plate when I turned that. I machined the prototype wrist last winter all manually. I didnt have any machining experience til about 2 years ago when I bought my machines. All I had was an idea for the wrist after I lost my arm 4 years ago.

All thats needed to finish the conversion is a switch box in between the lathe and mill.
002-25.jpg

003-27.jpg

004-22.jpg

005-20.jpg

006-15.jpg

That's it. Works like a dream.
Matt
dnut.gif

Looks great. What you could do it make a hinged guard over the toggles. Put a switch on the guard that turns off the power to the drives when the guard is open, that way you can't accidentally switch the drives with the power on, which you will do sooner or later unless you make it fool proof.

I found a couple of TV mounts at a yard sale this summer, so I worked them over a bit. I want to get my computer, keyboard, and jog pad off the bench and out of the swarf.

While I was re routing the wires, and running a new wire for the cnc rt that's coming soon, I thought it be a good time to move my lathe to a new bench to make things easier. Where the lathe was, made for a real PITA to clean swarf up behind it because of the wall, and the head stock was positioned to my left and the computer was 180 deg. back to my right. This also made for a PITA for doing setups, having to look behind me for DRO readings.
004-26.jpg

003-30.jpg

Now both the computer and everything rotates between both the Mill and lathe. Also the lathe will be easier to clean up, because I can access both sides

001-39.jpg

002-31.jpg

Took a whole day, but it turned out exactly the way I wanted it.
Matt

Just found this thread!!
WOW!!!!!

That is some amazing work!!
Good luck with the wrist, it looks awesome and very complex!!!

Andrew

Latest posts

Back