90degree v twin my own design

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooksservices

Reaction score
hi here is the second engine I have built. I have only had my lathe and been practicing with it for a year or so. All machining completed on my ml 7 and all made from bar stock. I switched from home built spark plugs to commercially available ngk plugs after having some fouling issues so they are slightly out of scale now but it does run nicer for it. The engine is totally my own design and took me a month to complete, with a wife, two young children and being in the process of buying out first house this was no easy task haha!! I had promised that this engine would be slightly more “long term” but when I can already picture the end product in my head it’s hard to slow things down. Maybe this comes with age? I’m 30 btw. Would be great to hear your thoughts and I’ll answer all the questions I can. Thanks!
4FFC95E5-5489-4734-94A4-FD82CFB225CF.jpeg CD597D2C-3DC4-47E6-B74B-9075BD19C317.jpeg

Nicely built and smooth running engine.
Btw Saito spark plugs for rc engines could be in scale.
Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for all the great comments guys, really means a lot to me. There are no real plans for this as it was all kind of build as I went along with what I had. I had to do one fairly carefully drawing to work out the stroke, cylinder height and rod length and apart from a few rough scratches during dinner breaks that was it really. I’d be more than happy to share some of the build pics and some measurements if if anybody would like them. Thanks again!

Definitely share any measurements, diagrams, part numbers and photos. Would be interesting to see what everyone comes up with.

Thanks for all the great comments guys, really means a lot to me. There are no real plans for this as it was all kind of build as I went along with what I had. I had to do one fairly carefully drawing to work out the stroke, cylinder height and rod length and apart from a few rough scratches during dinner breaks that was it really. I’d be more than happy to share some of the build pics and some measurements if if anybody would like them. Thanks again!

Hi here are a few pictures of of some of the parts/ steps. The cam belt and pulleys were found on eBay, originally i was going to use gears but i thought the belt would add a nice touch and be quieter too. I think they might be for some sort of 3d printer maybe? I know that there were a lot of size options and belt lengths also 6 or 10mm wide. The piston rings are viton o rings, i had made some cast rings for my single cylinder engine and found them to be a bit of a pain and not really very reliable possibly due to the poor quality cast iron i was using (from a 2kg dumbbell). Since switching to o rings both engines have been very reliable. I would almost recommend to anyone thats not very confident in making cast iron piston rings to first get their engine up and running reliably using o rings then switch to home made cast rings if desired after.
Here is also the lastest video of the engine, it now has a new rear flywheel matching the design of the front one and modified cams to help breathe a little more life into the engine. I reduced the base circle to gain a little more lift on the cams.
IMG_9099.jpg IMG_9103.JPG IMG_9166.JPG IMG_9175.JPG IMG_9180.JPG IMG_9182.JPG IMG_9195.JPG IMG_9220.JPG IMG_9227.JPG IMG_9233.JPG

Back