8 Tool rotary Turret.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Luke
The main body end view is shown as Turret Block End view.
Bearings used are Phosphor bronze, 2 x 25mm long (1 each end) bored to suit spindle when fitted to the block, oil holes at top blanked with 6mm screws.
A couple more pictures to show clearance over apron and a shortened boring tool fitted.
Will see if I can sort the Zip upload.
Rgds, Emgee

Tool clearance to apron.jpg

Short Boring tool.jpg

Turret Block side view.jpg

Hi Luke

Forgot to say original design/plans as used on the Emco PC50 lathe, this had an 80mm chuck so tool collision was less of a problem, my Orac has a 100mm diameter chuck fitted at present hence problems as described earlier.

Rgds, Emgee

Hi Emgee,

Thanks for all the pictures and info - it's all very helpful.

I'm just wondering if you know how different the tool plate design you've used is from the original Orac toolchanger? Basically I just want to build something which will be as versatile as possible. And obviously being lazy and time-limited it's great for me if I can learn as much as possible from what you've done and other existing designs!

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, is there any possibility getting your original CAD models? This would be really handy since I intend to model the whole tool changer in CAD anyway - I can start off with your models and modify them to my needs.

Thanks,

Luke

First batch of 10 parts made with the Turret tools, 41mm OD aluminium bored 24 diam x 12mm depth, 1st op for a model engine backplate.

First batch from turret.jpg

First there were ten but now 12, 2nd lathe operation done.
This was turn down to 29mm diameter and face end to give correct length, (this spigot fits in the crankcase) turn groove for "O" ring and then bore the 7mm radiused bowl. Rest of the work to complete is done on the milling machine, flange left at end is 2mm thick.

Engine backplate Op 2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Emgee, just got my forum access working again and had to comment on your excellent thread. You've done a fantastic job of building your TC and documenting it as well. You must either be "in the business" (machining) or have been at a long time. Kudos to to you!

Do you run your ORAC with the original controls or have you updated it? If updated, Mach3, LinuxCNC or??

I have an ORAC I bought with no electronics at all and am getting pretty close to being finished with it. It has a hodge-podge of electrics controlled by Mach3 and is working pretty well. I just finished installing a new KBCC-125R DC motor drive with on-board reversing to control the 3/4 hp Baldor motor. The motor was way too big to go in the original location so it's mounted on the back side and seems to have plenty of "grunt."

I'd love to make a TC like yours but don't have the materials, the experience and most of all the gumption. I added a lengthened tool plate on top of the carriage with 2 wedge-type AXA QCTP's; one front, one rear. Spindle reversing should make tooling choice a bit easier on the rear post. Hopefully I can work my way through Mach's Tool Table setup and will be able to use 2 tools at once without crashing anything.

All the best
Milton in Collierville, TN USA

ps: Post some more pics of what you're making with yours!

Hi Milton

Thanks for the compliments, I have never had training with lathe or mill machine work, I am retired from electrical contracting in industrial and commercial buildings, also did some domestic house wiring on new builds for several years.
Used to fly R/C model airplanes, racing them round a triangular shaped course for 10 laps which was 4km distance, the engines used in the planes are 2 stroke glow plug ignition, those I used were rear exhaust and rear induction, no carb as motors run full bore for the duration of the race, landings were done dead engine. My first venture into machining was with a Portass lathe to make various parts for the racing engines, used a vertical slide on the lathe for a few years for milling and eventually bought a big old Victoria U1 universal mill, horizontal, vertical and slotting was possible with that machine. Changed to a Myford 7 and then to a Colchester Bantam which I still have but it doesn't get much use as I have an Emco Compact 5 cnc lathe, a Denford Orac cnc lathe and an Emco F1 cnc milling machine, Both Emco machines are used as original prgramming method which suits my use, either can have a simple program entered and running in less time than my computer takes to be ready to work.!!
I am using the Orac in the original form, DOS based programming or manually entering the G & M codes needed, I do have a computer connection with the machine for loading or saving programs, this works OK for me as I only use for a hobby. I am still setting tool offsets in the program as I have a job that has 3 tools working, will post some pics of this when completed.
If you are considering making a Turret I would advise you to increase the diameter so giving greater clearance of the 4" chuck and any projecting jaws, other than that the turret is a real bonus.

Regards from the UK, Emgee

Used to fly R/C model airplanes, racing them round a triangular shaped course for 10 laps which was 4km distance, the engines used in the planes are 2 stroke glow plug ignition, those I used were rear exhaust and rear induction, no carb as motors run full bore for the duration of the race, landings were done dead engine.
Ahh, FAI pylon racing, 6.5cc engines right? Well familar with that.

Haven't done any FAI myself but raced in AMA pylon races back in the 80's; Q500 mostly. Our club hosted several types of racing but we had the most fun with Q500 Scat Cat airframes with max. engine size .28, club supplied fuel & props. We had a ball and it was cheap. I got some of the first Webra Speed .28 ABC engines and had fun blowing away the "shaker" OS .28 FSR's with their iron pistons. Sorry for the digression. Us ol' grandpa's like to tell our war stories, eh?;)

I'll probably never have a toolchanger on my ORAC unless I steal one on ebay (which isn't likely) so I'll have to make do with my twin QCTP system. Here's a link to a thread with some of the conversion process and pictures over on the Mach forum. Great guys there as well!

Cheers!

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,22258.0.html

Looks great Emgee! I assume you're CNC milling the flange contour and CNC engraving the serial numbers? What sort of beast are you producing? What CAM proggie are you using to generate the G-code?

Keep the piccies a'comin'!;D

Hi Milton

The backplates fit into a current production engine used for F3D racing, I only make the backplate as an add on for those that want to try something different. From reports received over a 4 year period less chance of burning a hole in the piston crown is the biggest advantage, this could be due to the angled top port cooling the inside of the piston and pin or with more crankcase volume the fuel control needle is slightly easier to set correctly so less likely to have a lean run. Some people even report better power output but this is difficult to prove unless a radar speed gun is used.
Yes all CNC milled but machine is programmed with G & M codes, I write the programs in the MFI editor, simulate to check toolpaths and download to the mill via computer link. I don't have the luxury of CAM or any machine capable of running the program it would produce, I'm only 1 step from turning handles !!!!
Milling machine is Emco F1 CNC, will add some pictures of machine and tooling FYI
If you go here http://www.mikesfreeinterface.com and the ABOUT/SCREENSHOTS you can see some code.

Rgds, Emgee

Few shots of tooling used for the backplates, note set for the ports is different to the rear face tooling.

Backplate ports tooling email.JPG

Backplate rear face tooling email.JPG

Most don't realize the amount of tooling & separate operations that go into making something relatively simple looking!

With all that tooling and labor expended, those backplates must be worth about £500 eh?:eek:

Hi Milton

Yep, 2 ops in the lathe chuck and then 2 different set-ups on the mill.

They are worth more than that but the modellers get a very fair deal from me so pay a good bit less !!

Rgds, Emgee

Latest Backplate 774810.jpg

Tool turret has !0,000 hits and almost 500 plans downloaded, has anyone else built a working unit ?

Rgds, Emgee

I just downloaded your offerings. Will have to look and figure which lathe to make one for then dimension for it. May never get that done but at least I have something else I can't die until I do!

Hi just wanted to say what a great job you have done here really nice work. I carn't belive you have done all this withought a cad or cam suit.
So amazing work.
I would like to have a go at one of these and to be a little cheeky do you by chance have drawing and sizes for the body etc I have allready downloaded the tool holder and other drawings you have posted but the main body has now sizes, I know it's a little cheaky but rather than try to re-invent there wheel so to speak I would be most greatfull for a set of drawings.

If you are in the UK I can put you in touch with a very good friend of mine who converts deford and other cnc machines to mach3. I first met him when I bough my machines from him already converted a star mill and a triac both denford he has 3 orac's at the moment waiting to convert so he knows what he is doing. and if you want any cad or cam solutions please pm me and I will help you with that.

There is an end view dimensioned drawing on an earlier page, just make the length to suit your cross slide.
Will post another more detailed drawing in a few days.

Back