8" Steel Scotch Boiler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops,

Just noticed I posted the same thing twice, Ah well it's better than nonce :rolleyes:

After a bit of a delay for some real work, I did manage to get the tube plates welded together and marked off.

DSCF1605.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

A bolt, a bolt, my kingdom for a bloody 5/16" bolt. Aha, found one, next cut up some packing blocks, of course not before a scrounge around to find the right size lump.

Finally the tube plates are mounted and clamped on the mill. I seem to remember a honeymoon that went along similar lines. :rolleyes:

DSCF1607.jpg

Next came the boring job for the furnace which is about 3/4 done.

DSCF1608.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Bob,
Nice cuts... you will be needing a welder soon.

Dan

Thanks Dan,

I have 2 stick welders and a TIG welder. I rather fancy TIG as it should be clean and slag free and hopefully will produce a better pressure weld. On the down side welding inside the shell kinda makes the TIG torch awkward due to the restricted area. Watch this space :eek:

Yesterday I did manage to finish off the furnace tube boring on the plates. I know it's not much but SWMDBO wants floating shelves in the study, (3rd bedroom). So I spent quite a bit of time making custom wall brackets to match the custom shelves she selected :-*

Sorry about the crappy picture but between this and that, I forgot the camera and my mobile is nearly as old as I am. (IMHO, phones are for talking on, not all the other crap that's loaded into them so you are a bigger and easier target for even more spammers and phishers).

DSC00004.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

After a long and drawn out process, I finally have the tube plates ready for rounding and separating.

DSCF1609.jpg

DSCF1611.jpg

DSCF1613.jpg

Hi Guys,

Yesterday saw me get the tube plates lined up and bolted down. A start was made on rounding the plates. It's going to be a slow process as the welds are as hard as the hobs of hell. The intermittent cuts require shallow cuts and 2 passes, otherwise the lathe starts to do the fandango. :eek:

Best Regards
Bob

So you are going to use the bolts to squeeze the tubes together? I believe it could work!

Hi Rob,

The tubes are copper and will be rolled into the tube plates.

Best Regards
Bob

Looking really good Bob. Looking forward to the next post

Looks like its coming along nicely Bob, still following with interest.....

Cheers, Neil

Herbie and Neil,

Thanks for stopping by and your support.

Best Regards
Bob

Hi All,

Today I had a clean up..............around 10kg of swarf and assorted crap was extracted and dumped from places I had forgotten existed. Then I had a play with my H&Miss but I'd left my electrical toolbox at home...................So I made a start on the bosses for the various ins and outs on the shell.

No pictures...........turning something round and drilling a hole in it is not terribly photogenic.

Best Regards
Bob

Congrats.You have done a great job precision drilling the tube holes into the tube sheets.

Are you using tube expanders? Or welding the tubes. This is another art and very tricky.

Hi Gus,

Thanks for stopping by and your support
bow-004.gif

The tubes will be copper and the plan is to expand them into the tube plates. This will mean making an expander for which I found some ideas on the net.

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Gus,

Thanks for stopping by and your support
bow-004.gif

The tubes will be copper and the plan is to expand them into the tube plates. This will mean making an expander for which I found some ideas on the net.

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Bob.

DIY your own tube expander will be tough. Heat treatment required.
Been using "Fuji" tube expanders to work on heat exchangers and aftercoolers.

Seen thousands of copper tubes expanded in power station.The Japanese Main Contract and surveyor plug gage tested every tube followed by H.Test.

Hi Guys,

It's been a while but I have finally managed to weld all the bosses onto the shell using tig.

Here are some piccys

DSCF1641.jpg

DSCF1668_zpsb9d855b0.jpg

DSCF1667_zpsd66d7649.jpg

DSCF1674_zpse865d5cf.jpg

DSCF1675_zps002cc92c.jpg

The dry pipe is ready for installation and then the serious business of the tube plates and furnace can commence.

Best Regards
Bob

Looking great Bob. Ain't Tig welders a joy to use once you get the hang of it ?

Hi Bob,

I am following with great interest. Just wondering if you intend on getting the boiler certificated.

One more thing, I am also in the market for a 3 in1, but there are so many out there, it is a minefield - you sound happy with yours. Would you mind letting us know which one you bought when you get a chance.

I am really enjoying your build - keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Ned

Latest posts

Back