5 inch vertical boiler plans.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummm... I don't know whether to thank you Ken for that or not! I got the gist but the detail was a bit esoteric. Like I said the Sievert works for the time being for what I use the boiler for and my time is limited as is everyone's!

I have a piece of copper tubing 5 inch diameter with a 1/8 inch wall thickness that I would like to make a boiler out of.
Can someone direct me to a place where I can find drawings for a boiler like this?
Thanks

Hi,
This isn't a plan as such but a book which could allow you to create your own plans for your present and any future boiler. The book is out of print but I managed to get a copy on Amazon UK or perhaps Abe Books (some time ago) for a low price. It is called 'Model Boilers and Boilermaking' by K. N. Harris. For me and others it is the bible of the genre and explains technical detaials and calculations in a way that even a simpleton like me can understand and follow with examples of many boiler types. Worth trying to obtain if you intend to make other boilers in future If you can design them yourself you are freed from the need for plans and can produce bespoke work.

I have included a scan of the contents etc for your perusal, AbeBooks have a few copies for sale, it is worth geting one of the 1969 originals if you can, it has been reprinted several times, originally by MAP and then Argus who took over MAP publishing.:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/model-boilers-boilermaking/author/k-n-harris/
Terry D.

Model Boilers and boilermaking.jpg
Model Boilers and boilermaking_contents.jpg

Model Boilers and boilermaking_Appendix_tables.jpg

I have a piece of copper tubing 5 inch diameter with a 1/8 inch wall thickness that I would like to make a boiler out of.
Can someone direct me to a place where I can find drawings for a boiler like this?
Thanks
Hi again,

further to my previous posting, I came across a short description of the book on an OSHA boiler training page and it makes interesting reading, I also suggest that you clock on the 'Types of Boiler' link which then discusses the types of industrial boilers in use. Not directly applicable to us but makes intrresting backgound reading in a short space.

https://boilersinfo.com/model-boilers-and-boilermaking/,

TerryD

P.S. The book was originally published by MAP (Model and Allied Publications - UK) in 1967 and not in 1969 as I said, I usually double check web information but failed to do so this time, I apologise. MAP also reprinted the book four or five times at least in the 1970s.

TerryD

Last edited:
Not sure if this is of interest to anyone?
1601127689416.png

Not sure if you can read it either...!
But it explains that (as designed for industry)
  1. ceramic burners: 950 deg.C; 120kW/sq.m,
  2. Metal fibre burners: 1050deg.C.: 200kW/sq.m,
  3. Porous ceramic burners: 1450deg.C; 1000kW/sq.m.
I don't know about a coal fire (unforced) or coal fire (Forced) but I'll try and find out. I do know that the large lump of a coal fire inside a firebox, especially when forced - provides around 10 times the power of a ceramic plate of the same area as the grate of a loco boiler. As a friend put it re: his 4" vertical boiler on his Clayton Wagon: "With a Gas burner she can only just make tea, but with a forced coal fire she steams like a Witch!" (John A. - I assume you have the same appreciation with yours?).
The first requirement for designing a boiler from scratch is to understand the "power" requirement and how to heat it - and get rid of the exhaust gases. - Something George Stephenson did remarkably well.... - so maybe this really is "Rocket" science?
John A. - Although I have put it on this thread, this bit of useless trivia isn't anything other than general bumpf for anyone interested. However,
I am interested to see your superheater and "hear" your whistle blow! - When you have the time for the final video.
Have fun with your CNC set-up!
Ken

Attachments

• 1601127597560.png
    1601127597560.png
    263.4 KB · Views: 162

Latest posts

Back