5 gallon bucket furnace

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be going over Rick's today. I'm going to take my burner and crucibles. I will be testing the burner to see if it will melt metal or just make alot of noise.

Hi Steve,

Should have enough heat to melt a small charge. At most a wee bit slower.
The refractory looks good and wall thichness more than ample. Torch entry is tangential to avoid direct heat.

I used fire bricks as refractory for the 50 pounder capacity cast iron pot to gravity cast Auto Compressed Air Condensate Traps for a big compressor order. Champion refused to sell us trap. Went to Bangkok,Thailand and bought one from their innocent dealer who made a fat margin. Both parties parted happily. He got his money and Gus got the Champion Trap to copy.

Plan to make my own 0ne gallon size furnace. Anything bigger would burn down the balcony machineshop and flat.
Please advise The Brand and description of Castable Refractory. Gus knows nothing on castables.

Please post castings poured with your furnace.

Gus from faraway Singapore.

Hello stevehuckss396
Could you explain me what are the 2 stainless steel pressure heads
for ?

The pressure heads are used when doing lost foam casting into "sandbox" sand. They are used right at the top of the pattern to create a pool of molton metal to keep feeding the pattern as it cools.

Hi Steve,

Please advise The Brand and description of Castable Refractory. Gus knows nothing on castables.

Please post castings poured with your furnace.

Gus from faraway Singapore.

Hello Gus!

I cant remember what I used. I bought it from a local supplier. There are a few different types. There is a light weight and the heavy stuff like I have. Weight meant nothing to me as I just wheel it around the garage on a small cart.

Super charger housing was cast at a model engine show.

DSCN0831s.jpg~original

If you look on the table you can see the raw casting that is a pair of housings. The pattern is peeking out from behind the engine. The pattern is maple. The pattern was rammed up in petrobond and cast outside of the building.

b_7324 (1).jpg

Hi Steve

I just finished watching about 30 video's posted on utube by Myfordboy all about casting he makes it look so easy, he says never to use any aluminium that has not be cast before, if fact that is all he uses is scrap cast alloy, he also adds a spoonful of salt as a flux and a spoonful of washing soda as a de-gasser, if you have time I think it is well worth watching, good luck and I will be following along.

Regards
Dave

Hello stevehuckss396
You wrote -- There was a problem when the furnace was lit and the burner ran extremely rich.
How you know if the flame is RICH ? Is there a way how to see it ?
Thank you

Back