5"g Simplex steam loco build (hopefully)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to ask, what is the story on the two beautiful Myford lathes? Are these yours? Sure look nice!

I really wanted one of those Myfords when I was a kid. I could not afford it, and I settled for a cheaper Taiwan lathe. Still have, still use it!

David

Hi ,i like the temp/adjust eccentric rod.I have not made mine yet so i might go the same route while checking out the motions etc.I am waiting for some small
cutters to arrive so i can finish off the cylinders.Until i cut the steam passages
there is too much compression resistance to get an accurate feel for where i am
Your linkage still looks far more professional than mine,i hope its a lot to do with the camera. The weight shaft is just 3/8" bms stock and i just drilled the links 9.5mm as i have no reamer.Not the perfect fit but good enough for a pinned fit. Did you use taper pins or rollpins etc??. I have 2 taper pin reamers from 30yrs ago 1 at 3/32 and 1 at 1/8 and i got ashock at the price of taper pins almost $4 each.Long time since i fitted taper pins. What did you use for the cross head /piston ?
As i by by i collect steam locomotive photos as a hobby,i used to be a school boy spotter. I have every named british steam loco from all 4 regions from 1900. If you need any for reference let me know your email address attached a couple of samples 60021-4467-9.jpg

46220-3.jpg

60035-2500-9.jpg

60700-10000-1.jpg

Like a fool i sold those 2 Myfords at the same time as the loco prior to
retiring to Australia. I did not intend to get back into model engineering
but with time on my hands bought chinese lathe and mills. If you look up
Bazmak threads on this forum you can learn my life history

As Bazmak says, boiler materials are certainly expensive items. That's my reason for 'rolling my own'. I buy 4mm copper plate. This is often available in half-plate or bits and pieces. I built my own set of heavy-duty rolls, largely based on an old ME article, but beefed up and fully geared. Rolls are 50mm diameter, 600 long and 4mm copper - even half-hard - isn't a problem, other than it needs a lot of elbow grease!
My formers are all mild steel, as any sort of wooden formers just simply didn't stand up to the pounding, even with frequent annealing
My welding/brazing tackle includes my own E size oxygen bottle, which is tested every ten years and is usually FULLY filled. this is coupled with propane torches. I have some of the largest propane burners available and have made a few of my own, especially ones with a long neck, so as the operator can be a little further away from the heat. For a larg-ish boiler, I'll fire up two or three big propane burners and in my hand, I'll have an oxy-propane multi-nozzle burner, which pushes out a very big, hot flame.
All that gear going at once would do credit to a 747!
I'm a bit older than you, Bazmak and I certainly save any boiler work for the cooler months!
Wazrus

Thank you for your post Wazrus,what you desscribe is what i would expect
Propane/oxygen big burner running and oxy acetylene for the local heat
I am not an expert but i know hocopper runs away with the heat,and you need red heat to silver solder. I am trying to not think about the boiler yet.I di partially do the boiler for Heilan Lassie just the outer wrapper etc as seen in the photos .Not easy but i had a decent workshop and oxyacetylene.But it was much easier in the UK in the winter months

Beautiful locomotive photos!

Too bad about the lathes, they certainly were beauties!

Yes, all of my lifting arms are pinned to the shaft with taper pins. I got all of my taper pins and reamers from Ebay. These items are quite cheap from Ebay, and can be had brand new. I cannot believe how much money this has saved me. The piston shaft is pinned to the cross head with taper pins.

All of my straight reamers are also from Ebay, brand new, very cheap. Many of my threaded fasteners are also from Ebay.

For the steam passages, I just drilled them and then used small files to open the passage into an oblong slot.

The Simplex boiler is only about 3mm (1/8") thick. It can all be done with a single large Sievert torch. Th boiler barrel on the Super is 5" and for the Simplex I think it is 4-1/2". Yes, your torch must be large enough to put heat in faster than the copper can radiate it. You must build up a hearth with fire bricks. Do not use the type that are in fire place, but, the type that reflect the heat back into the work, like the bricks used in a refractory. The bricks are light weight and are very fragile. Stack them on the floor and all around and on top of the boiler. It can be done. My boiler was certified in May of this year, all silver soldered with a single Sievert propane torch.

My flanged plates were all done over wooden formers. I used poplar and hard maple. Unless you are going into production, there is no need for steel formers. In fact, my formers could probably make several more sets, as they are hardly worn or beaten.

Since I don't seem to be able to put text between my photos, here's a little text describing the attached photos:

Photo one - This is a closeup shot of the piston rod pinned to the cross head, it is attached with taper pins put in at an angle. Large end of the pin up, so if any thing were ever to loosen, the pin would not fall out!

Photo two - Close up of the cylinder face ports being machined. Everything was layed out on the face just for reference. These cuts were all made by reading the numbers on the hand wheels. I used carbide cutters for this operation.

Photo three - The steam passages were simple drilled holes. The holes were then connected sideways with a small round Swiss file to create a nice oblong hole.

Photo four - I relieved the cylinder covers where the steam passages meet the covers.

Photo five - Here you can see the main parts of the cylinders. You can just barely see the oblong steam passage in the cylinder end.

Photo six - This is the copper boiler kit from Blackgates. Yes, it was expensive, but, it was all the correct type of copper, all in one place, and was actually a good value. If I had it to do over, I would go this way again.

Photo seven - Here you can see a flanged plate next to its former. The former is made of hard maple and could probably be used several times over. What I like about wooden formers, is that they are very easy and quick to make.

Photo eight - When is comes to heating the boiler, I completely covered it with refractory bricks, except for the area where I was going to solder. I started with the boiler uncovered for a pre-heat. When it was quite hot, I stacked the bricks on top and then concentrated on the area where I was going to work.

DSCN0844 - reduced.jpg

DSCN0807 - reduced.jpg

DSCN0811 - reduced.jpg

DSCN0820 - reduced.jpg

DSCN0827.jpg

DSCN1016 - resized.jpg

DSCN1070 reduced 13-14.jpg

DSCN1308 - reduced 2.jpg

Thank you for your excerlent photos David your workmanship puts me to shame.Will have try harder and remake any parts i am not happy with further down the line I have tried ebay and not having much luck with taper pins
I think that the 2 reamers i have 3/32 and 1/8 will suffice but can you point me in right direction for taper pins.I was looking on Utube and saw a short video
on simplex running on air and then steam with lime green wheels. Yours ??
Although the simplex is a freelance and not designed as any specific full size loco i wanted to put region and number to it. No namers im afraid
So i have done some research thru my books and images and the nearest i could find is LMS nos 47160-68 Fowler Dock Tank 0-6-0T class 2f intro 1928
47163.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Bazmak,

The photo really looks like a life size Simplex! It also looks a bit like Kennions "Butch", as the weigh shaft and lifting arms are in a notch in the forward end of the water tanks. In either case, the loco in the photo also has a Belpaire boiler, you can see the "bump" at the fire box end. What a neat old photo!

Thank you so much for the kind words. For good fits of shafts into arms, you really need to get reamers for a proper fit. If the fit is poor, a pin of any sort will not hold well and the arm will wiggle because the the pin is tight, but, the arm on the shaft is not. The pin become a "pivot point".

For taper pins, there are imperial and metric. They both have similar tapers. Imperial is 1/4" per foot, and metric is 1 in 50. Physically, this taper is very similar. I am a little bit old school and only have imperial taper reamers and pins. Attached should be a chart of standard imperial taper pins. Standard lengths appear as grey colored rectangles. These are only small taper pins, and are probably the only ones to be used on miniature locomotives.

The pins are identified by a number size, example: 0, 4/0, or 7/0. Each number size is described by the diameter of the large end. Each size is available in different lengths and the appropriate numbered reamer will make a tapered hole for all lengths of a given number.

Example, a 4/0 reamer will make tapered holes for any length of the 4/0 pins. I believe the pins I used on the piston rod to the cross head were 4/0 pins 1/2" or 5/8" long. I'm not sure about the length, it was a while ago. I still need to pin the return crank to the crank pin, but, it needs a 7/0 pin. This is pretty darn small, and I have been avoiding this job and just relying on the clamping screw on the return crank to position it!

As for obtaining the pins from Ebay, there are some right now 4/0 by 5/8" long, $13.97 USD for a pack of 50. There are many more listed. You can also obtain a 4/0 pin that is longer, and then cut it to length as needed. The large end of a given size is always the same.

As for reamers there are also many listed right now on Ebay. If you are going to use a 4/0 pin, you will need a 4/0 reamer. I like the reamers with a left hand spiral as they push the chips forward as you turn the reamer in a clockwise direction. This is always done by hand with a tap handle on the reamer. I do not know if you have experience with taper reamers, especially small ones. You must remove it often to clear the chip. Always use a tapping fluid or cutting oil. Never turn the reamer backwards, you will break something. Go slow and keep testing the pin for fit to see how far it is fitting into the hole.

Proper installation and fitting of a taper pin requires patience. (This is why many folks avoid them) You will be rewarded with a pin that will hold better than any other type. It can easily be removed years later and re-installed. I have worked on very small small machinery that is over 100 years old. This is when I discovered my love for taper pins.

I do use roll pins occasionally, but not on lifting arms or cross heads.

There are 4/0 reamers on Ebay right now, one for as little as $3.99 USD. The average price is around $15 USD.

I not know how Ebay works in Australia. This you will have to investigate.

Hope this helps a little to sort out taper pins for you.

David

Small Taper Pin Specifications.png

Almost forgot, yes, the Super Simplex on YouTube with the "Apple Green" wheels is my baby! The first steam test in my shop was done using my boiler that I use to run my stationary steam engines. I thought, why not connect it up to my locomotive for a real steam test! Operating on real steam is when these little beasts really come to life!

David

Saw the taper pins on ebay.$20 for 50 but postage is $50 I think i will bite the bullet and buy 6 from Melbourne at $3.50 each.If i buy 3.0 x 2" long i can
a small one ane and a big one from each. I assume.I had plenty of experience
taper pinning during my apprenticeship thats how long i have kept the reamers

$50 for postage, that's crazy! Sorry about that. Isn't their some sort of industrial supplier in Australia like McMaster-Carr? Even $3.50 a piece seems like a bit much. As for size, 3/0 in the piston rod only leaves you 1/16" on a side, perhaps that is enough. Make sure the pin is in the very center of the shaft and the cross head is reamed for a very close fit to the piston rod.

David

Hi David,if the pins are 1/8 at the bigger end and 2" long i can use the bottom section to give me about a 4.0 or the top end to me about a 3.0.I think i would orefer to use 1 slightly larger pin than 2 smaller ones.I also bought some 3/32
rollpins.I have pinned them 2mm for the moment to check the stroke is central to the cylinder.May need to adjust but i am awaiting endmills to finish the cylinders before i do anything else

I guess you could use 1 larger pin instead of two smaller pins. But, something to consider, is that the entire weight of the locomotive and the train is bearing on the cross head to piston rod connection. With one pin per cross head instead of two, this weight bears even harder on the hole through the cross head. The socket in the cross head for the piston rod has a very thin wall. One large hole might start to elongate with time. There must have been reason for our friend Marty to specify two pins per cross head. I'm sure you will make the right choice for yourself.

David

Baz,

Ok, it is a UK supplier, but that shouldn't cause a problem.

For small steel and brass taper pins (metric), try these

http://www.proopsbrothers.com/assorted-pack-of-100-brass--steel-tapered-pins-x1159-430-p.asp

It is also worth immersing yourself in the website, I always find lots of other small things that I want. They do really cheap brass wire brushes for fitting onto a pigtail, great for removing dirt and debris without doing further damage.

Imperial taper pin reamers, had mine a long time and no problems, great price for a full set

http://www.tracytools.com/taper-pin-reamer-imperial/taper-pin-reamers-set-hss-1-16-1-4

or if you want metric reamers, but only individual

http://www.tracytools.com/taper-pin-reamer

Again, always a good read if you are after odd cutting tools.

Even though the pins are metric and the reamers are imperial, I have never had trouble fitting them together at these small sizes, metric is 1 in 50, imperial is 1 in 48

John

Last edited:
Thanks John ,i have ordered 100 small taper pins for about $15 posted
I only have a reamer for the largest size but for that price i can afford a couple more smaller reamers.Will also get 4 at 1/8 local for $3.50 each and that
should cover me.
Yes David i have thought about the load on the pins so i dont know which way to go yet.I followed the drawing for the cross head and machined the collar on the end which leaves me less room for 2 pins,also thought about pining at 90o
with one vertical if i can get them out.All to be concidered in the near future
Meanwhile after a few days in the shed with the outside temp in the mid 30s
and the shed getting up over 40oc i have almost finished the screw reversing
gear. Just used an M6 s/s rod,made the wheel etc.Finish is a little better than my average.:fan:rev screw 01.JPG

rev screw 02.JPG

rev screw 03.JPG

Nice work on the reversing screw, looks good!

If and when you pin the cross head, I suggest that you try to put the large end of the pins in the upward direction, so, if anything was to ever loosen, the pin(s) do not fall out. I put both of my pins in such a way that they can also be removed with out too much trouble. They are installed at about 45 degrees from vertical. This made for a crazy set up to drill for the pins, attached is a photo of the set up.

The adjustable parallel was used to make sure the cross head was pushing hard on the piston rod before drilling. This was drilled as an assembly to make sure everything was lined up well.

David

DSCN0843 - reduced.jpg

Nice set up for drilling for the taper pins.I still have to remove some matl from
the end of the piston rods to centralise the piston this may cause a problem with opening up the 2mm holes for say a 3mm taper pin.With the lever arms
i remember from the dim and distant past it was good practice to drill and tap at 90o for a grub screw to hold in posn for drilling and fitting the taper pin
Not practical for the cross head but i realize i need to clamp down or bottom the rod before drilling Will all come out in the wash

Just noticed that on you reversing screw the 3 bearing blocks are milled much deeper than 1/8" that my drawing shows.Much more positive guide for the 2 fixed and 1 moving block. Also like your small wheel bit more shape than mine
Once i get mine up to a certain stage i may remake some items for improvement.Also toying wit the idea of single point screwcutting a new 2 start
screw. Would have to make a tap also,cant see how i could cut a 2 start 1/4" internal thread single point. How did you do it ?

Yes, the nut for the reverser screw was a challange! I ground a piece of 1/4" HSS into a miniature boring bar. (Much "quality time" spent in front of the grinding wheel.) The "boring bar" had the end ground such that it had a 60 degree cutter on the end to make the thread. No photos of this right now, but, I may post one later today. Before making the thread in the reverser nut block, I did a "practice" run on a simple round piece of brass just to prove to myself that I could actually make this thing!

The reverser wheel is modeled after the plastic hand wheels on my little Unimat 3! I really like the shape and feel of them, so the reverser got one made of steel. I still use my little Unimat for many of the small parts. It's so much easier to fee what you are doing on a small machine. I can also get the RPMs up much higher on my Unimat. The Unimat is also handy for a miniature high speed drill press.

David

I have a sieg C4 lathe and then got a bought a cheap sc3 to to mod up
Main advantage of the small lathe is you can reverse the lead screw thru
the tumbler gears so can cut a left hand thread.May try making a tap from
silver steel just for the excersise.If i can make a tap the i can make a short length of 2 start thread..The drw shows 1/8 silver steel pins pressed into the brass sliding block but there is not much depth did you have any problems
I have in mind to make top hat pins and press into the reach rod
Meanwhile i have reposted my thread on the small sieg and mods you
might find it interesting.Are you going to start posting your own threads ??

Latest posts

Back