4th axis question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powder keg

Reaction score
I'm working on a gearbox at work. It's basically a cube with 3 bores in it. It is a weldment and we need to make several. Being a weldment the sides aren't exactly in the same place all the time. I'm planing on having 3 work off sets. one for each side. I'll also have to touch the tools off on each side I think? Does this sound about right? I haven't messed with the 4th axis much.

Thanks,

Just think of how you'd locate it if you had to do separate setups without the 4th axis. The hard part is locating the second and third Work Offsets relative to the first work offset. As you've stated, the weldment is not a reliable locator. You need to locate from a machined feature, even if you have to machine a reference 'datum' on the edge(s), for the sole purpose of setup. Tool offsets stay the same, Work offsets change for the second and third sides. Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Davyboy

I've been stressed out the last few days ::) I was having trouble with my project. It turns out that the 4th axis was creeping on the table while I was machining the holes. Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!! Well, I got all my troubles straightened out and everything turned out fine. Here is a quick picture. I'll get a couple more.

Fadal 60" X 30" table with 4th axis
CIMG4321.jpg

Powder keg said:
I've been stressed out the last few days ::) I was having trouble with my project. It turns out that the 4th axis was creeping on the table while I was machining the holes. Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!! Well, I got all my troubles straightened out and everything turned out fine. Here is a quick picture. I'll get a couple more.

Fadal 60" X 30" table with 4th axis
CIMG4321.jpg
Was it not fastened down tight enough or was it too heavy a cut?
I have had both happen to me.
Regards,
Gerald.

Well, That huge 4th axis only has 2 bolt slots in it ??? It's going to get some more!!! I was a little worried about it but I hadn't had any trouble till now.

Was the collet tight enough in the quill ~~~~ I've had that happen to me!
Regards,

IDP

Latest posts

Back