4mm Stainless Tubing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GWRdriver

Reaction score
I need some 4mmOD tubing to make a short low-pressure main lubrication line. Annealed because I need to make a couple of bends, and stainless (preferred) because it's located in a vulnerable place. The original aluminum line was "bumped" closed (hence the need to replace it.) I might be able to make 3/16" line work (1/8" won't) but if possible I want to use the original 4mm compression fittings.

So my question is, is 4mm stainless a US automotive (brake or fuel system) item that I might find at a good automotive supply shop, or some other equally easy to access source?

I have yet to see any metric brake line hardware show up in my local store and a quick peek at a popular racing supply chain didn't show any either (summitracing.com) - just 3/16, 1/4 and 3/8 stainless.

I would think you will have a hard time sealing the stainless if you do find it using the original compression fittings as the compression glands will be some soft material such as brass or aluminum and won't bite into the stainless. You're best bet may be to simply replace the tube with aluminum, brass or copper and building a bump plate to protect it from future mishaps.

Just my 2 cents...

Mike

Thanks Mike. I have considered a protector plate or a reroute but I thought I'd try to replace the original line first. The next one down the list will be a rerout, which I probably should have done long ago.

4 mm is within about 0.001 of 5/32. You might look for that. Small Parts Inc.?

A friend of mine was recently looking for small tubing. He wanted something smaller, I think around .050" (1.27mm) and found SS tube that small. I think it was American Scientific & Surplus they may not have the size you're looking for.

Paul

Annealed because I need to make a couple of bends, and stainless (preferred) because it's located in a vulnerable place.

I would be careful with selecting stainless tubing, in my experience it may not stand up to vibration very well as it is brittle. But this is general experience, not related to small models.

Thanks for all the replies. Relocating the existing oil line, which is my preference, will require machining a new connection point on the oil pump head so that the distribution line originates at 90° from its previous position. To anticipate comments, a 90° El will not solve the problem because the El would still be within the damage zone. When I make this alteration the line will be out of harms way and I can use regular old copper.

Latest posts

Back