• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted 48 Pitch Gear Cutters

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portlandron

Reaction score
Looking for 48 pitch 14.5 Pressure Angel gear cutters.
Need: #2 (55 - 134 teeth), #3 (35 - 54 teeth) , #7 (14 - 16) teeth)

Have new or like new end mills, ball end mills, dovetail cutters, slitting saws, side mill cutters to trade or cash.

Last edited:
Looking for 48 pitch 14.5 Pressure Angel gear cutters.
Need: #2 (55 - 134 teeth), #3 (35 - 54 teeth) , #7 (14 - 16) teeth)

Have new or like new end mills, ball end mills, dovetail cutters, slitting saws, side mill cutters to trade or cash.
What you are looking for can be purchased from McMaster-Carr. They are about $73.00 per cutter. Hopes this help.

If you prefer, I can hob the gears for you, it will be a lot cheaper as I have the hob and the tooth form will be better. PM me if you are interested

Victor Machinery Exchange has Asian cutters for cheaper than McMaster and work ok. The runout is more than I’d like on a sample size of 3. The McM cutters are Polish from the same parent company as Bison chucks.

All hobs are rack form but the problems are with tooth relief and driving the hob and blank in unison, ’free’ hobbling does work but you need a blank much wider than the gear is to be to allow the hob to engage as the edge of the teeth are often damaged.
if you wish to make gears without a factory made hob or involute cutter available you can make your own form relieved cutter or get away with a fly cutter. See Ivan Laws book for how to do this.

Ah - if you follow that link, you'll see it suggests a rack-form hob which is not a spiral (and so will not 'free' hob) but instead is formed from a number of thread-like rings on a shaft, with sides at the pressure angle and spacing related to the DP of the gear. It can be used to approximate an involute form, and the gear blank is advanced in a dividing head tooth-by-tooth rather than being geared to the cutter. I have only cut gears in soft materials, and they work alright although in my application I can adjust the centres until they run fairly quietly. I relieved the tops of my tool teeth, but not the sides, which would be too difficult for me. I made it in mild steel and hardened with Kasenit, which seemed to work.
M

Thanks every one for the input.
I got Laws book and will be reading up on the subject.

Back