4-Jaw Chuck

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chiliviking

I completed the 4-jaw chuck for my PM Lathe project. I modified some of the dimensions as I thought the specs. called out in the drawing had the jaws sticking out of the body too far so I shortened them by about .060 and then made the steps in the jaws .070 each rather than the .090 on the print. I think it now looks more in proportion.

Here is the setup I used to cut the 45 degree faces for the jaws. The angle plate is something I made a few years ago and it has served me well for many projects. It doesn't have a scale on it, I put angle blocks on it for the desired angle and then indicate it in with a DTI.

DSCN2745.jpg

The finished chuck both looks nice and would work fine if a person was inclined to actually use it!

DSCN2751.jpg

Good work. Looks great.

Don't forget to make a chuck key for it. I ground off a bit of hex wrench and made a fitting for it with a T-handle.
I also made a similar wrench for the setscrew that secures the offset back gear pivot.

I intended to make a four-way tool post for it but decided that would be an anachronism for this era and, besides, the lantern style specified in the plans looks very cool once made.

Well now you've gone and done it. How the heck are you going to make the DTI to dial in that little chuck? :big:

Very cool chuck. :bow:

Cheers,

BW

Back