4 cylinder ohv engine plans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
After posting pictures and videos of my 4 cylinder ohv engine I got some requests for drawings. I have completed a set of drawings for this engine. There are 13 drawings to the set done in 8-1/2x11 format. If anyone is still interested please contact me offline at [email protected] for further information. I am including a couple of pictures so you can see the quality of the prints.
gbritnell
4CYLENGINE162.jpg

4CYLENGINE163.jpg

I expect the plans are for sale.

I wonder if someone can explain. Looking at the crankshaft of a 4 cylinder engine like this one, the same as the normal full size ones, why are there always 2 pistons TDC and the other 2 "BDC"? Wouldn't it be better to "space" them 90º of each other? In this way one could have a power stroke at 90º intervals probably making the engine run more smoothly. At least it's what I think. Maybe it's easier to build them the way they do.

The two cylinders that seem to be paired are really 360 degrees out of phase. One is TDC after compression and the other is TDC after exhaust. The other pair is BDC after power and the other is BDC after intake. You only get two power strokes per revolution in a 4 cyl, 4 stroke IC engine. The crankshaft on a 4 cyl, 2 stroke engine looks a lot different.

Jerry

Captain Jerry said:
The two cylinders that seem to be paired are really 360 degrees out of phase.

That I understand, but if they were 90º out of phase, then for example, the one at 12 o'clock would be entering the power stroke, the 3 o'clock one, 1/2 way through intake, the 6 o'clock entering the exhaust, and the one at 9 o'clock, 1/2 way through compression cycle. This way the firing would be at 90º intervals instead of 180º.

Helder

You still only get two power strokes per rev. The beat would be more like a polka than a foxtrot.

Jerry

The way I see it there would be 4 power stokes per revolution, separated at 90º, unless I'm not looking right. Must make a drawing to confirm.

Helder

Noitoen said:
The way I see it there would be 4 power stokes per revolution, separated at 90º, unless I'm not looking right. Must make a drawing to confirm.

Helder

The thing you have to remember about 4 stroke engines is there is 720 degrees per timing cycle. So the ideal firing is 720/4 or 180 degrees per fire.

Noitoen said:
That I understand, but if they were 90º out of phase, then for example, the one at 12 o'clock would be entering the power stroke, the 3 o'clock one, 1/2 way through intake, the 6 o'clock entering the exhaust, and the one at 9 o'clock, 1/2 way through compression cycle. This way the firing would be at 90º intervals instead of 180º.

Helder

What about Balance of those reciprocating masses at the end of the rods? The forces generated at top speed are alot more than their weight alone. Alot of the reasons for the way these things are done, is most likely balance related. Setting up one to run as you suggest might be possible but most likely something like vibration would probably make it not worth doing.

How's that for random keypressing?,
Kermit ;D

I wonder how the Audi's 5 cyl engine's crank looks like.

Helder

you have to remember that it's a 4 stroke , ie; suck, squeeze, bang, blow! (induction ,compression ,ignition ,exhaust) and the firing sequence on a 4 cylinder is usually 1-3-4-2, and as Steve says you have a bang every half turn of the engine (as in for each "power stroke" the piston has to go up and down twice), if it were a 2 stroke it would be a different matter, but as for the stresses involved, the bangs are absorbed by the cylinders on their compression stroke, Audi's in-line 5 cylinder (they weren't the first to try it by the way!) was an attempt to balance and smooth things up a bit but it's more of a gimmick than anything else IMHO,anyway, just think that a single cylinder 4 stroke still has to go round twice to complete it's cycle!

Hi Stan, yes the drawings are for sale. Normally I would post things in the files section but I have almost 2 months work in these. I had to disassemble most of my engine, measure it, make sketches and then make a complete set of AutoCad drawings. The set includes a sheet on making the carb and also a step by step on making the spark plugs. As I mentioned if anyone is interested I have the set of drawings and a CD with pictures of the actual engine.
gbritnell

Hi George,

Forgive me if you have already posted this, but could you post A picture of your engine?

Dave

Ahhhh...Now I remember! :-[ ::)
Thanks Kevin

Dave

You're welcome, Dave.
Beautiful engine, isn't it? I'd love to build one but there ain't no way by skills are up to it. Yet ;D

Damn Sexy actually........its on "The List"

I figure I'll be about 119 by the time I finish building everything on the list. ;D

Dave

Beautiful drawings George! :bow: Being an amateur draftsman, I can really appreciate the time that went into them. You experts just make them look "right." I hope you sell a ton. ;D

I purchased the 4 cylinder engine planes from George Britnell they are great plans nice cd shows pictures of engine . good job George Ken Reynolds

Latest posts

Back