4 cylinder/4 stroke mystery engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would try to determine the characteristics of the pump. If there is a pressure regulator, a simple carb will work. Otherwise, I would be consider a Walbro with a small bore, <8mm, to take advantage of the fuel metering diaphragm.

I couldn't find anything online pointing to this design. The only thing that stood out to me was the Hohn models. GALERIE | Fahrschulmodelle Seems like the models were related to Opel, and their 1930's engines were Chevrolet designs. I couldn't find a specific engine. I would guess the builder was a capable engineer.

The 20cc four stroke glow plug boat engine I built here some 15 years ago runs a .15 size updraught homebuilt air bleed carby and on methanol, will rev to 10,000 plus.
Video available if required.

Bluejets, thanks it's always a pleasure to enjoy a video of a running engine.

The seller found and sent me an old photo taken at a model show with medals and prizes she won... But he has no other infos available.

IMG_2518 (2).JPG

Last edited:
As I can see it has has been fitted with a carburettor with a float chamber since a petrol pump is fitted to the engine block. Is it possible to get a drawing of the carburetor with a float chamber adapted for the model engine?View attachment 121776

That looks like a Tillison carburetor diaphragm fuel pump, I have a box full of those I never use anymore, I have several sizes to experiment with for different engines. The carburator works on engine suctions. When engine piston goes down vacuum sucks on the fuel pump diaphragm that pumps fuel back to the engine cylinder.

That looks like a Tillison carburetor diaphragm fuel pump, I have a box full of those I never use anymore, I have several sizes to experiment with for different engines. The carburator works on engine suctions. When engine piston goes down vacuum sucks on the fuel pump diaphragm that pumps fuel back to the engine cylinder.

In the 4 cylinder 4 stroke engine is not possible to create vacuum to affect the fuelpump if the fuelpump was a vacuumoperated pump. See at the engine has camshaft in same side where the fuelpump are mounted on same side and operated by camshaft. It has the small lever outside the fuelpump to pump the fuel from tank to carburator before start up the engine.

Last edited:
Does the engine in the old photo look slightly different to the one in the new photos ?

hi this is pretty close renault 8 engine photo when i saw this it took me back to my apprentice days possibly as close as you will get
regards john

Attachments

• Classic & Sports Car – Renault 8 10 Buyer's Guide – 03.png
    Classic & Sports Car – Renault 8 10 Buyer's Guide – 03.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 200
Wow, that's a great lead. If you look at the earlier 1950's 4CV engine, the pump and distributor are in the correct location. Built by a frenchman, a Renault design would seem appropriate.

1958-renault-4cv-1jt8mrsfa-5-780x520.jpg

thanks for that diesel pilot i were trying to think of the earlier version and it would not come to mind untill i were in bed we knew them here in nz i think as the renault dauphine

Latest posts

Back